Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Uh, Dave. I don't see "The GOP" mentioned anywhere in the article.

You do understand that government oversight/regulation of private sector pensions and is handled within the Department of Labor (an quagmire populated almost exclusively by those who lean to the left) by the PBGC. You also realize that any changes to regulations would require action in both houses of Congress (unless the Bamster has another Executive Order up his sleeve).
My apologies. Usually, whenever I hear some noise about which workers don't deserve to have what, it's coming from a conservative pie-hole.

Also note that what you just wrote confirms that the PBGC is a mostly "left leaning" organization. Where is the "right leaning" organization that does anything positive for working class retirees? (Referring them to private charities and homeless shelters doesn't count.) Last I checked they pretty much despise anyone who has attempted to stop working for nearly any reason.

Dave
Old 12-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
No matter how well funded a plan is US law allow the company to rob the funds and file bankruptcy. Then the Government will pickup the tab, http://www.pbgc.gov/ at a reduced rate of course.

""If that occurred, the federal insurance fund that protects the retirement benefits of more than 10 million Americans in multi-employer plans could collapse.""

Barney
Pension funds are tempting.

And even when the white collar criminals are caught they given sweet heart
sentences and sent to country club prisons.

I now remember Alan Hevesi the sole trustee of the then 2010 NY 125 billion dollars
state pension fund was caught in some funny schemes with the funds.

He was sentenced but did not break any bricks/stones in prison.

Last edited by Dondilion; 12-04-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Where is the "right leaning" organization that does anything positive for working class retirees? (Referring them to private charities and homeless shelters doesn't count.) Last I checked they pretty much despise anyone who has attempted to stop working for nearly any reason.

Dave
You're right. Most of the big Wall Street investment houses are run by lefties now.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
My apologies. Usually, whenever I hear some noise about which workers don't deserve to have what, it's coming from a conservative pie-hole.

Also note that what you just wrote confirms that the PBGC is a mostly "left leaning" organization. Where is the "right leaning" organization that does anything positive for working class retirees? (Referring them to private charities and homeless shelters doesn't count.) Last I checked they pretty much despise anyone who has attempted to stop working for nearly any reason.

Dave
No you were right the first time since it is Congress that is looking to pass legislation that will allow these poorly managed corporations to cut the size of their pensions.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
No you were right the first time since it is Congress that is looking to pass legislation that will allow these poorly managed corporations to cut the size of their pensions.
You might want to have a look at post 7 in this thread before you continue your anti corp rant on this topic.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
You mean the new congress?

Dave
Old 12-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Resident octogenarian

Article in the WaPo this AM.