Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:49 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
That's not new, Rob. It's been a part of infantry training for a very long time. An infantryman in combat must be able to kill instantly, without hesitation or reflection. I was trained in just that way almost 50 years ago. Thank God I never had to put that training to use!

John
It seems to me that the Greatest Generation was taught to march in step and how to shoot and clean a Garand (or Lee Enfield) then sent of to war. And they did a pretty damn good job of it. You shoot at the enemy because he is shooting at you. The first time you have to kill someone youu turn aside and throw up, but evenyually learn to live with it - or not. I was too young for WW II but I was on damn good terms with many who did participate.

What they do now is sad because they cant put back that 18 tyear old profile. Do a lookup of Jacksonville NC, bnext door to Camp LeJeune and study the teen pregnancy rate. I am willing to bet that they were not all concensual. The dental assistant who cleans my teeth her father was a marine and she lived there for the two years he was posted there. She tells me there was at least one pregnant girl in every one of her high school classes. Florence's first husband was an ex marine officer - she left him for damn good reasons.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:32 AM

Well I heard it on the news again, except this time they changed the story. They said he had some heated arguments before the shooting. I'll stay out of this one because it's now clear that the story changes. It may change more before they settle with one story.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Well I heard it on the news again, except this time they changed the story. They said he had some heated arguments before the shooting. I'll stay out of this one because it's now clear that the story changes. It may change more before they settle with one story.
The possibility that Lopez had been arguing with someone came out almost immediately. The change, as far as I know, is only that the argument has been confirmed.

John
Old 04-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
The possibility that Lopez had been arguing with someone came out almost immediately. The change, as far as I know, is only that the argument has been confirmed.

John
So he just happened to have stopped at Guns Galore and bought a .45 that day?
Old 04-05-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:

John
I'm confused because nbc local news showed his fellow men on camera saying he wasn't angry but depressed and he told his fellow men that he was shutting down and that he went to request time off and they told him he'd have to come back for that request later.

Then last night on same nightly news channel they said he had been in heated arguments.. and they told a different story of the interview with his fellow men but didn't show them on camera saying it.

Probably why I don't watch the news that often. They run with whatever sounds best at the time.

Last edited by hillbilly; 04-05-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
I'm confused because nbc local news showed his fellow men saying he wasn't angry but depressed and he told his fellow men that he was shutting down and that he went to request time off and they told him he'd have to come back for that request later.

Then last night on same nightly news channel they said he had been in heated arguments.. and said nothing more of the interview with his fellow men.

Probably why I don't watch the news that often. They run with whatever sounds best at the time.
He was being treated for depression and he got into a heated argument. They're not mutually exclusive.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:13 PM

Personally, I'd watch the news more often if they'd say ''Another shooting at Ft. Hood. We have no details but will follow up on the story in a few weeks after the facts are settled.''
Old 04-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
He was being treated for depression and he got into a heated argument. They're not mutually exclusive.
Doh. Excessive anger reactions are a depression symptom.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:23 PM

I was in the military 20 years I have never seen anyone get only two days off for a funeral of an immediate family member. There must be more to the story....

To get only two days off for a mother's death is an insult, especially if you have to leave the continental United States.

That does not excuse what he did, but two days off for the death of a close relative almost amounts to mental abuse in my mind.