Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
But he's mistaken. The PKK are pretty much a secular and vaguely communist organization. They also have a strong feminist element in their ideology and even have women fighters in their ranks. (This scares the hell out of ISIS. The thought of being killed by a woman makes them wet their pants.)

Also, the PKK presence in Iraq has been sparse and contested until ISIS began knocking on the door of the Kurdish-controlled area of Iraq. There was open hostility, and occasional combat, between the PKK and the Peshmerga forces of the Kurdistan Regional Government.

Now the PKK and Peshmerga are conducting joint operations against ISIS. They are also an important force in the fight against ISIS in Syria, though the Turkish government has inexplicably taken steps to prevent PKK fighters from leaving Turkey to join the fight against ISIS.

John
That's one story. You can look at my post above as well, if you're interested. PKK forces along the Syrian border have been shredded. There are many in the Kurdish community, perhaps the majority, who detest the PKK. There are many in the Kurdish community who would prefer being under the control of ISIS than under the control of the PKK. Nobody who knows the actual deal there wants the PKK in control of anything. They will kill anybody who opposes them, including their own Kurdish brethren who's freedom they are allegedly fighting for. Just as the Taliban will.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
I didn't say that, nor did my friend. He did not say that Kurds are Taliban, he said the PKK is Taliban. I believe his point was that the PKK is all about power for the PKK and will kill Kurds who oppose them just as quickly and effectively as it will kill ISIS, or members of the military and law enforcement of the countries wherein they reside. As obviously, will the Taliban.
If that's what your friend meant, then his choice of words was poor. "Taliban" is the plural of talib which is the Arabic word for a student or "seeker of knowledge" with very distinct religious overtones. Rather than calling the PKK "Taliban", he might as well have called them "Nazis". It would have contained the same amount of detestation and accuracy.

John
Old 12-17-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Who is financing the Afghan Taliban and the Pakistan Taliban now?
Is that a rhetorical question?

John
Old 12-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
If that's what your friend meant, then his choice of words was poor. "Taliban" is the plural of talib which is the Arabic word for a student or "seeker of knowledge" with very distinct religious overtones. Rather than calling the PKK "Taliban", he might as well have called them "Nazis". It would have contained the same amount of detestation and accuracy.

John
I know what the origin of the term "Taliban" is, professor. And their behavior certainly confirms the bastardization of what they choose to call themselves.

His choice of words was used purposefully to describe similar attitudes and agendas of groups he finds having much the same fucked up behaviors. But you're right...he might as well have called them nazis. That fits as well.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
That's one story. You can look at my post above as well, if you're interested.
I've read all your posts in this thread and I don't see anything that disproves or even disputes anything I said about the PKK.

Quote:
PKK forces along the Syrian border have been shredded.
They've certainly had a tough time. That's for sure but "shredded" may be a bit of an overstatement. A large part of the reason for their difficulties is the Turkish efforts to deny them resupply and reinforcements. Politics and ideology aside, the PKK are very brave and very fierce fighters and it's a mistake to squander them in the fight against ISIS.

Quote:
There are many in the Kurdish community, perhaps the majority, who detest the PKK. There are many in the Kurdish community who would prefer being under the control of ISIS than under the control of the PKK. Nobody who knows the actual deal there wants the PKK in control of anything. They will kill anybody who opposes them, including their own Kurdish brethren who's freedom they are allegedly fighting for. Just as the Taliban will.
There is definitely a power struggle within the Kurdish diaspora with different groups vying for power. Each faction will have stories to tell about the evils of their opponents but, again, your statement above doesn't refute anything I've said about the PKK. They are not the "Taliban". They are secular and they are about a Kurdish homeland, not a global caliphate.

John
Old 12-17-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I know what the origin of the term "Taliban" is, professor.
Then you'll agree with me that your friend's choice of words was inapt.

John
Old 12-17-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Is that a rhetorical question?

John
No, it is a serious question under the circumstances. If ISIS is the benefactor of Pakistani Taliban, it would be easier to control them. But do they have the will?
Old 12-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Jigsawed

As far as I am concern ISI is a branch of the army, and is buttressed by influential persons within the structures of the Pakistani judiciary and government.

Check the connections to the Mumbai Massacre and the blocks to those seeking information and justice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Mumbai_attacks
Old 12-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Over simple. Reality is very complex there.

The Pakistani definitely have had a relationship with the Afghan Taliban, messing up Afghanistan being seen as in their interest. The 'pakistani Taliban' is, however, a different bunch, and further, the 'Taliban' umbrella there covers a bunch of only-loosely affiliated groups with varying composition, goals, tactics, frineds, enemies, etc, etc etc.
In many areas the Pakistani/Afghanistan border is seamless.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
As far as I am concern ISI is a branch of the army, and is buttressed by influential persons within the structures of the Pakistani judiciary and government.

Check the connections to the Mumbai Massacre and the blocks to those seeking information and justice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Mumbai_attacks
I was thinking about the Mumbai Massacre when I was posting. Definitely a creature of the Pakistani army (and the government as a whole) but the North Waziristan version of the Taliban is nobody's. They have no use for the Pakistan government at all. They want total autonomy.

John