Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Area Man

In Tokyo people live in tiny houses, or even stay in those little beehive things.....

But further out Japanese folks still live in traditional homes and apartments.

So, if the new 'hoods in California are going to be cramped.......Nobody's forcing you to live there.

Dave
Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Admin

He has authored studies for conservative think tanks such as the Cato Institute, Heartland Institute, Heritage Foundation,[1] and the Reason Foundation,[2] and for industry groups such as the American Highway Users Alliance, a lobbying and advocacy group for automobile-based industries.[3]

from Wikipedia

Hmmmm, even though he cites Tom Bradley as a former benefactor the above certainly wasn't mentioned. Misdirection in the Wall St. Journal? Say it ain't so.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
He has authored studies for conservative think tanks such as the Cato Institute, Heartland Institute, Heritage Foundation,[1] and the Reason Foundation,[2] and for industry groups such as the American Highway Users Alliance, a lobbying and advocacy group for automobile-based industries.[3]
What is this? Guilt by association? Those groups do put forth some good articles just like the left wing think tanks do.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
What is this? Guilt by association? Those groups do put forth some good articles just like the left wing think tanks do.
That's a strange interpertation, I was commenting on how the one line bio at the end of the article only mentioned him working for Tom Bradley and none of his other so called accomplishments. Read what you want into it. He's a lobbyist against mass transit. That's the rub. It's a bullshit slanted article that starts with a warped premise and ends with a short misleading bio that trys to lend some credibility by mentioning Tom Bradley and leaving out the dubious distinction of being a lobbyist.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
Yeah, that whole war article is real crap. Way too many sprawl homes that can be had here so a developer prolly couldn't get a loan to build houses he can't sell anyway. Telegraph does not need any redeveloping but that San Pablo corridor like in Oakland 50 years ago was an industrial strip, small mom and pop auto junkyards and such, they went out of biz a couple decades ago and then the whores and dopers took over.
So they are just taking back the neighborhood really and filling a need with the condos. Get rid of the blight and fill a need. Not everybody wants to ride a mower on their days off lol.
They have done a lot in downtown Oakland to redefine it. Lots of high density office buildings too. The little crackerbox federal office building 25 years ago is a new entire city block complex these days, etc.
Man what they did down San Pablo Ave and the rest of Emeryville is kind of mind boggling.
Odd how it hasn't made traffic worse either....

Carl
Oh the memories! I lived below San Pablo in emeryville before they did all the renovations. (70s). Yes, we lived in that warehouse across the street from the steel mill and under the sherwin Williams tipped paint can.
Converted the warehouse onto living/ studio space. Good times. Rough neighborhood. One summer I was a bystander in three bank robberies and a gas station hold up.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Area Man

If your party has it's way, that's where we'll all be living. In Romneyvilles. And they and their most generous contributors (Not YOU or me.) will be living in places like the castle below once again.

We've been there once before. And for most folks, IT SUCKED.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hearst castle.jpg (44.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Yeah, the party of the rich would... oops that would be the left.

Pete
Old 04-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Area Man

Nice pool. Not really all that impressive for an ex-Vice President, though. I wonder what a typical Exxon execs house looks like?

Looks more like my cousins house.

He owns a construction company, a disaster recovery business (When he isn't on vacation in Cabo or taking his daughter shopping in London.) and dabbles in commercial real estate when the market is up. Also constantly bitches about how "impossible" it is to run a business, what with all the taxes and bullshit regulations that keep him destitute and living in his Corvette.

But, hey, he's a Republican "job creator", so I just smile and nod. Don't want to upset the poor thing.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 04-11-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM

Ted Turner seems to be doing ok too. With all the federal land locked up, he's doing quite well fracking natural gas from his huge land holdings. I'm sure he's going to give all the profits to the poor folks though.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Ted Turner seems to be doing ok too. With all the federal land locked up, he's doing quite well fracking natural gas from his huge land holdings. I'm sure he's going to give all the profits to the poor folks though.
I sure hope not. I'd rather he creates some jobs with it. Maybe hire more cleaning staff for one of his homes. Or pay a homeless guy to stand in line for him when he takes Hanoi Jane to Radio City.

Maybe we should stop oppressing Ted and give him another tax cut?

Dave