Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:37 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Study shows economy consistently grows more under Dem president

The U.S. economy has performed better when the President of the United States is a Democrat rather than a Republican, almost regardless of how one measures performance. For many measures, including real GDP growth (on which we concentrate), the performance gap is both large and statistically significant ...

http://www.princeton.edu/~mwatson/pa...on_Nov2013.pdf

Though the causes seem to be more luck than policy, it's also demonstrably true that the economy doesn't do better under the GOP, though they (and conventional wisdom) would have you believe otherwise.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:30 AM

The argument I always get when I make that point:
The democratic presidency often follows a GOP presidency. The GOP fixed the economy and then it started to grow. After the dems mess it up again, it goes back into the hands of the GOP, where they fix it again and then the dems get credit again.........

and so on and so forth
They always have a reason and a way to blame us and take credit too. I think once in awhile, they are even correct, but not often.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Banned

I feel timing is a big factor.

Our tech boom was though the Clinton administration.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
The democratic presidency often follows a GOP presidency. The GOP fixed the economy and then it started to grow. After the dems mess it up again, it goes back into the hands of the GOP, where they fix it again and then the dems get credit again.........

and so on and so forth
They always have a reason and a way to blame us and take credit too. I think once in awhile, they are even correct, but not often.
Interestingly, those who make this argument also argue that the economy became "Obama's economy" immediately after he was elected in order to absolve Dubya for his contribution to the economic downturn. You can't have it both ways.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Area Man

I believe structural changes made under any administration, can affect the economy for decades into the future. That the true measure of whether or not policy worked lies in long term trends, "The New Deal", "The Great Society", "Trickle Down Economics", etc., ect.

Dave
Old 01-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Interestingly, those who make this argument also argue that the economy became "Obama's economy" immediately after he was elected in order to absolve Dubya for his contribution to the economic downturn. You can't have it both ways.
You noticed that too, Huh?

Dave
Old 01-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Like Vietnam became Nixons?

A GREAT article Finn, thanks. It lost me in some of the methodology math so I assume it to be accurate. Seemed very fair.

It doesn't look at gas prices lowering, and think about it - if gas went below $2/gl bet we'd start booming soon? And I remember gas hitting $.89/gl in 97-98 which was very low even then.

Minor though I think. There is a great deal of excellent stuff in there that challenges our perceptions imo. This stood out:

"However, we next offer a simple piece of empirical analysis that suggests little difference between Democratic and Republican presidents in their discretionary fiscal reactions to economic activity."

Whoa.

Pete
Old 01-30-2014, 02:41 PM
Area Man

Right. You've said it yourself, Pete; That Obama just seems to be using Bushs policies.

Dave
Old 01-30-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post

and so on and so forth
All you have to do is share the old "Two Santa Claus" theory with them.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:11 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
All you have to do is share the old "Two Santa Claus" theory with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_San...a_Claus_Theory