Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:12 PM

Superpower

Occasionally someone asks a question where the answer has profound consequences.

Barack Obama was asked what superpower would he like to have. He replied the ability to converse in any language. That answer hit me hard.

Isn't the internet an experiment in all of us understanding each other? It seems to me that a universal language would devolve into the familiar debate of the power of laws vs the power of printing money.

The Cone of Silence competes with Barack's superpower wish. In the middle of that is the truth. We all have a point where our give a damn breaks. I suspect that the point of breaking is closer to home than it is to global politics. We hear too much already.

I pray that Barack has his superpower and tells us what he learned from it.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:25 PM

Get Smart meets Esperanto!

And the Cone of Silence wins. Just as with Esperanto, the internet has failed to become some sort of lingua franca. It could still happen but I see nothing on the horizon.

On the other hand, the internet has done a great deal to democratize information. This is its greatest achievement so far and long may it continue.

Last edited by Boreas; 02-16-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:14 AM

Communication is a good way to break down barriers. Face to face. This internet however seems to be a perfect vehicle for miscommunication. So blind to nuance, so many ways to misinterpret.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:27 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Get Smart meets Esperanto!

And the Cone of Silence wins. Just as with Esperanto, the internet has failed to become some sort of lingua franca. It could still happen but I see nothing on the horizon.

On the other hand, the internet has done a great deal to democratize information. This is its greatest achievement so far and long may it continue.
Sadly that is not true, a public record I dredged up today had my wife still married to her late husband living on a street in Columbia- where she and he actually did live but they gave the date as 2006 to 2008 when she was married to me. She lived there back un the 1970s

Another 'public record' had us living in Baltimore but we never did,