Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
A

Last I heard, Church attendence continues to decline. How does that make you feel, Mike?
I could actually care less. Sadly, haven't been to church myself in quite a while. However, in a debate about the meaning and merits of the establishment clause, it matters not whether you or I go to church regularly or not, does it? Nor does it matter how we "feel" about it.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I could actually care less. Sadly, haven't been to church myself in quite a while. However, in a debate about the meaning and merits of the establishment clause, it matters not whether you or I go to church regularly or not, does it? Nor does it matter how we "feel" about it.
Correct.

Now,---------it's nap time. Back for another twelve tonight.

Dave
Old 11-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I also find the vehement opposition to occasional religious imagery or slogans to be tiresome and non-productive. We could debate the establishment clause all day but suffice to say that on this topic, like so many others, the polarization of views is doing more damage than otherwise.
... and you don't find the incessant "woe is me" caterwauling from the Christian Right about how Christianity is "under attack" in this country to be tiresome? You can bet your @ss that the Georgia goober who introduced this bill knows full well the provocative (and maybe unconstitutional nature of his effort. It's all about rubbing Christianity in the face of non-Christians.

It's no different than Faux News throwing a contrived hissyfit last week because Obama didn't mention God in his Thanksgiving youtube address. Faux conveniently forgot to mention that Dubya (and Slick Willie) both omitted mentioning God in several of their annual Thanksgiving addresses and that Obama's written comments did mention God. As far as I'm concerned, every single leader of the Christian right is nothing more than a modern day Elmer Gantry.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:15 PM

"As long as the roots are not severed, all will be well in the garden."

The roots of this country are Christian.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
The First Amendment says otherwise, methinks.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Area Man

Quote:

Did you read this off of your palm?

The religious roots of this country lie here;

From Wiki;

"The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion......"

From here on is my opinion;

1) The government cannot attempt to establish a state religion, nor can it dictate to anyone a specific religious belief or prevent them from exercizing their right to worship (Or abstain from worship.) as they see fit.

2) No other model you attempt to present can possibly demonstrate free will.
America is a predominantly Christian country, but it is not a "Christian Nation".
This term implies exclusivity and social/political dominance.

3) Worship as you see fit. This is your right. Attempt to dominate others and press your religious beliefs (Or lack thereof.) upon them and you are in for a fight. At least you should be.

4) Escape from religious tyranny is one of the reasons the Puritans came here in the first place. Remember, Monarchy is religion based. Kings are coronated by a bishop. Royal bloodlines are believed to be decendants of Christ. Kings force their subjects to adopt the beliefs of the crown. I.E-Nationalized religion.

Of course, the moment they arrived, they began establishing their own form of religious tyranny. Didn't they?

These four points are why the first amendment exists in the first place.

Did you read the whole thread?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-30-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:

I agree! Never in my seventy-two years have I heard or read so much condemnation of religion.
It seems to me...a line is always being drawn in the sand on any subject. There's plenty of room in both heaven and hell...let you conscience be your guide.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
I agree! Never in my seventy-two years have I heard or read so much condemnation of religion.
It seems to me...a line is always being drawn in the sand on any subject. There's plenty of room in both heaven and hell...let you conscience be your guide.
I didn't condemn religion. I condemned the Bible-thumping charlatans who try to use religion and the myth of Christian persecution for political purposes.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I didn't condemn religion. I condemned the Bible-thumping charlatans who try to use religion and the myth of Christian persecution for political purposes.
Why do you hate America?
Old 11-30-2011, 05:18 PM

Mixing politics and religion for a topic of discussion.

Ain't this lovely???

Ya'll have fun, I think I'll do something important like pick boogers out of my nose.

Chas