Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Let's say Obama does make an recess appointment. McConnell & Co. go berserk, challenge the constitutionality and the case goes to the Supreme Court. The newly appointed justice must be recused and the vote is a tie. This could get pretty ugly and totally disrupt the upcoming elections. We could be looking at a serious political divide unlike say, Obamacare. A single person or an entity can turn the country upside down.
I don't think the average American is all that caught up with who is on the Supreme Court...
I don't see this as big as Obamacare. The baggers will howl but they have been doing that for five or six years now. The GOP could raise a lot of money off of an Obama recess appointment.....keep the tea bag movement going. But I think the issue would fade away after the election and I doubt it would be the reason why a Democrat lost to say Trump. God forbid.

A recess appointment of a progressive who would uphold his executive actions on immigration would motivate Latinos to show up at the polls however.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
He had the guts to take care of Scalia.

And Trump needs to cover his six.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conten...ald-trump-next
Don't the Clinton's have a better network set up for murdering people...I can't believe AJ missed what was right in front of him, an obvious misdirection to Obama to take the heat off Hill's....AJ is slippin.....

Old 02-15-2016, 12:17 PM

Another good writeup on the SCOTUS nomination, surprisingly a recess appointment is not discussed.

The Daily 202: Why blocking Obama’s pick to replace Scalia could cost Republicans their Senate majority

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...b92a22d189bff/
Old 02-15-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I don't think the average American is all that caught up with who is on the Supreme Court...
I don't see this as big as Obamacare. The baggers will howl but they have been doing that for five or six years now. The GOP could raise a lot of money off of an Obama recess appointment.....keep the tea bag movement going. But I think the issue would fade away after the election and I doubt it would be the reason why a Democrat lost to say Trump. God forbid.

A recess appointment of a progressive who would uphold his executive actions on immigration would motivate Latinos to show up at the polls however.
Anything Obama can do to destabilize the GOP is fair game. Your Godess is already politicking in Nevada on this hoping to energize the Hispanic's. As we have seen, money is not helping much in this election other than for Bernie.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Now this looks like a good play.

I would cut Obama some slack on passing up the recess appointment if he makes this one.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...s-nominee.html
They're not going to get any Hispanic votes anyway except for some very old South Florida Cubans
Old 02-15-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Let's say Obama does make an recess appointment. McConnell & Co. go berserk, challenge the constitutionality and the case goes to the Supreme Court. The newly appointed justice must be recused and the vote is a tie. This could get pretty ugly and totally disrupt the upcoming elections. We could be looking at a serious political divide unlike say, Obamacare. A single person or an entity can turn the country upside down.
It needs to get ugly.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Obama may be playing the long game again...pick someone so popular and likeable that an unbalanced opposition by the GOP makes them looks so bad before the election that the Dems win or the GOP simply capitulates and gives him the ratification.

Although if I was Obama I would put a real progressive or someone like Holder in right now, and gamble that the Dems win, and his nominee eventually gets ratified two years later. That is the longer game and that is what I would do if I was him.
Being hated by Republicans doesn't make Holder a progressive. It just makes him black. Holder is no progressive. He's a Wall Street and bankster shill.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—In a television appearance on Sunday, the leading Senate Republican warned President Obama “in no uncertain terms” against doing anything in his remaining three hundred and forty days in office.

“The President should be aware that, for all intents and purposes, his term in office is already over,” Mitch McConnell said on Fox News. “It’s not the time to start doing things when you have a mere eight thousand one hundred and sixty hours left.”

While acknowledging that the President has eleven months remaining in the White House, McConnell said that he and the President “have an honest disagreement about how long eleven months is.”

“The President believes it is almost one year,” he said. “I believe it is almost zero years. I’m not a mathematician, but I believe I am right.”

As for how Obama should spend his remaining time in office, McConnell said, “If the President has trouble doing nothing, we will be more than happy to show him how it is done.”
Old 02-15-2016, 02:24 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
You might have a point there.

http://ffcolorado.com/blog/two-third...ys-new-survey/

Quote:
Nearly two-thirds of Americans can’t name a single member of the United States Supreme Court, according to a new national survey by FindLaw.com (www.findlaw.com).
Old 02-15-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Being hated by Republicans doesn't make Holder a progressive. It just makes him black. Holder is no progressive. He's a Wall Street and bankster shill.
Did you not notice the word "or" John? I imagine on issues of justice he would swerve a bit toward where Cory Booker and Rand Paul were going last year.