Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

We just watched Searching for Sugar Man, the Oscar winning documentary about a Detroit musician who remained unknown in the US while becoming bigger than Elvis in South Africa. Good story and movie.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Admin

Total Recall. Gotta love CGI.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Watched Catch-22 yesterday. Fantastic movie.

"The Roman Empire came and went. Italy is till here. Mussolini came and went. Italy is still here. The Nazi Occupiers came and went. Italy is still here. Now you Americans are here and soon you will go, but Italy will STILL be here. Empires come and go..............all of the time. But the people remain. The nation remains. One day your American empire will fall and you will learn that it does not matter.........."

Dave
The book is way better, read it around 1970.

Remember my old buddy (dead) amd myself discussing it in front of his father, referring to it as satire.

His dad (who actually flew on bombers in WWII) told us that is was the most realistic book that he had ever read.

And the old man was right.

While I've forgotten most of it, I still remember the old Eyetie, who, as you pointed out, simply cheered for whoever was winning at the moment, knowing that they would soon be gone...just like everyone else.

And the pilot who crashed into the sea on every sortie. How was he described, "He could make anything or fix anything, talents which guaranteed that he would be poor for the rest of his life"?

And Yossarian.

I still tell people that I feel like Yossarian, walking backwards through life with a .45 strapped to my hip...to prevent people form sneaking up behind me.

I should have learned from that book as opposed to relating to it.

But I was always jaded, even when I was a kid.

Chas
Old 05-06-2013, 06:10 PM

And, for what it's worth, I really liked "Million Dollar Baby".

Eastwood should have won his Oscar...or whatever they call those things, for that instead of "Unforgiven".

Personally, I think Eastwood wound up with so much shit in his britches that the rest of the Hollywood elite felt that they should throw him a bone, or otherwise appearing as fools.

Chas
Old 05-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
And, for what it's worth, I really liked "Million Dollar Baby".

Eastwood should have won his Oscar...or whatever they call those things, for that instead of "Unforgiven".

Personally, I think Eastwood wound up with so much shit in his britches that the rest of the Hollywood elite felt that they should throw him a bone, or otherwise appearing as fools.

Chas
He was also good in El Torino. He played a grumpy old man with ease.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
He was also good in El Torino. He played a grumpy old man with ease.
"Grande Torino", mi amigo.

As an actor, Clint is on a par with John Wayne as playing himself...no matter what the role.

As a director/producer there is no comparison.

Of the two "Iwo Jima" movies he did, the one from the Japanese viewpoint was the best...IMHO.

For what it's worth, I read that Clint has never killed an Indian in any for his movies. And come to think of it, I don't recall him killing anyone other than a white person.

Just a thought.

Chas
Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Admin

That 'Rowdy Yates' character wasn't too bad neither.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Admin

Quote:
"Grande Torino", mi amigo.

As an actor, Clint is on a par with John Wayne as playing himself...no matter what the role.

As a director/producer there is no comparison.

Of the two "Iwo Jima" movies he did, the one from the Japanese viewpoint was the best...IMHO.

For what it's worth, I read that Clint has never killed an Indian in any for his movies. And come to think of it, I don't recall him killing anyone other than a white person.

Just a thought.

Chas
He killed it with the chair at the RNC. The look on Ann Romoney's face was priceless.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
The book is way better, read it around 1970.

Remember my old buddy (dead) amd myself discussing it in front of his father, referring to it as satire.

His dad (who actually flew on bombers in WWII) told us that is was the most realistic book that he had ever read.

And the old man was right.

While I've forgotten most of it, I still remember the old Eyetie, who, as you pointed out, simply cheered for whoever was winning at the moment, knowing that they would soon be gone...just like everyone else.

And the pilot who crashed into the sea on every sortie. How was he described, "He could make anything or fix anything, talents which guaranteed that he would be poor for the rest of his life"?

And Yossarian.

I still tell people that I feel like Yossarian, walking backwards through life with a .45 strapped to my hip...to prevent people form sneaking up behind me.

I should have learned from that book as opposed to relating to it.

But I was always jaded, even when I was a kid.

Chas
You just moved up a notch on my cool meter Charles. To point seven-five-0.75.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Admin

Me and Charlie are 'brothers of the hammer', different lodges tho. I think he might be an 'in the closet' rigger and I'm a retired shingler. He's alright for a worm drowner.