Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Quick question while on the subject of cops. First, I know this cop I'm talking about, and second, I know this guy too. The guy rolls in to a gas station blasting profanity gangster music ( like he always does ) here in this town of under 1,000 people and the store owner doesn't like it, as none do. Cop warns and warns, but guy keeps doing it. Guy thinks he can blast away ( with his big system ) all he wants to. Then when the cop gives his last warning the guy still says he can blast away and fails to understand that the cop is trying to tell him ''not right here.''

The right here I'm refering to is a gas station and the owner doesn't have to put up with people pulling in and walking in the store leaving their car running with profanic rap BLASTING away while women and children are forced to hear it.

What should said cop do? I mean when he's given every warning he can give the guy and the guy keeps ignoring day after day... then pulls the race card after cop decides it's time to citate him? The cop didn't citate him.. as bad as he wanted to, that race card isn't easy to deal with and cop gets in his car and drives away. How do you deal with guys like that when they try to point the finger at the cop instead of complying with the law?
As long as the volume level doesn't exceed legal standards and no laws are broken, it's free speech and protected.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
As long as the volume level doesn't exceed legal standards and no laws are broken, it's free speech and protected.
When you can hear it inside the store after the thick glass door is shut and have to speak up to be heard at the cash register then it is clearly too loud.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Exactly right.

I do favor noise ordinances, but if there isn't one, or if it's too weak, then you just have to put up with it. I recently moved and part of the reason, a good part, was that the neighbors on either side of me had barking dogs that were driving me nuts. There was a an ordinance but it was weakly worded so as to make it practically unenforceable.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Ready

Quote:
Quick question while on the subject of cops. First, I know this cop I'm talking about, and second, I know this guy too. The guy rolls in to a gas station blasting profanity gangster music ( like he always does ) here in this town of under 1,000 people and the store owner doesn't like it, as none do. Cop warns and warns, but guy keeps doing it. Guy thinks he can blast away ( with his big system ) all he wants to. Then when the cop gives his last warning the guy still says he can blast away and fails to understand that the cop is trying to tell him ''not right here.''

The right here I'm refering to is a gas station and the owner doesn't have to put up with people pulling in and walking in the store leaving their car running with profanic rap BLASTING away while women and children are forced to hear it.

What should said cop do? I mean when he's given every warning he can give the guy and the guy keeps ignoring day after day... then pulls the race card after cop decides it's time to citate him? The cop didn't citate him.. as bad as he wanted to, that race card isn't easy to deal with and cop gets in his car and drives away. How do you deal with guys like that when they try to point the finger at the cop instead of complying with the law?
1) Have multiple independent witnesses, or video with sound, to assuage your fear of the confrontation.
2) Politely give him a noise citation (or whatever).

I don't why why you imagine this 'race card' is so awesome and powerful.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
1) Have multiple independent witnesses, or video with sound, to assuage your fear of the confrontation.
2) Politely give him a noise citation (or whatever).

I don't why why you imagine this 'race card' is so awesome and powerful.
How do you ''politely'' issue a noise citation to someone showing their ass yelling at you that they are right and you are singling him out because of race?
Old 10-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Ready

Quote:
How do you ''politely'' issue a noise citation to someone showing their ass yelling at you that they are right and you are singling him out because of race?
SAY "Sir, I've observed [whatever] so I am citing you for [whatever].
IF behavior crosses line, ARREST on appropriate charge.
ELSE SAY "Sir, here is your ticket. Please sign Here. Sir, your court date is [whatever], or follow these instructions [point] to plead guilty and pay the fine. Have a good day."

Why is this stuff a mystery to anyone?
Old 10-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
If all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

If you are dressed in riot gear every assembly, peaceful or not, looks like a riot.
Truth.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:36 PM
Ready

Around here, 'clearly too loud' is not what the noise ordinance says. Offenders must be caught by an officer wielding a decibel meter to make a noise ticket stick.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Around here, 'clearly too loud' is not what the noise ordinance says. Offenders must be caught by an officer wielding a decibel meter to make a noise ticket stick.
If a cop is two cars behind you and can hear it with his windows down that is what they go by in some places.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Admin

Quote:
If a cop is two cars behind you and can hear it with his windows down that is what they go by in some places.
That would be an easy ticket to beat.

I'm not really defending someone being an obnoxious a-hole like this guy and his choice of music but I just ignore it or turn mine up.

Now if it were Patsy Cline at earsplitting levels...