Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:24 PM

An honorable American

And perhaps as honorable of man who ever lived. Let's not forget him.

http://www.cumminghome.com/community...n-legend.shtml

I've already bookmarked the 19th on my calendar as a day to perform an act of kindness in his honor. As far as that goes, I should bookmark every day for the same. Might even spring for a fifth of Rebel Yell and offer a toast.

In the meantime, I need to touch off the grill as I have some chicken breasts which need to feel the fire.

Chas
Old 01-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quite an appropriate thing for all of us to do. To see that a leader of the war, on the side that many of us thought was wrong, was nevertheless a tremendous and noble gentleman. You know, I'll bet that there are many people in the leadership in Iran and in North Korea who aren't evil. I hear tell that there's even people in Bugtussel who aren't evil. Happy General Lee day.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Chas - Are you familiar with the Lee-Custis House and its history? Lee's inherited home was taken by the Federal Govt and became Arlington Natl Cemetery.

Good read.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/arlhouse.htm
Old 01-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Area Man

This from Wikipedia, citing "The American Civil War" as a referrence.

"Lee privately ridiculed the Confederacy in letters in early 1861, denouncing secession as "revolution" and a betrayal of the efforts of the founders. Writing to his son William Fitzhugh, Lee stated,"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than a dissolution of the Union." The commanding general of the Union Army, Winfield Scott, told Lincoln he wanted Lee for a top command. Lee accepted a promotion to colonel on March 28.[60] Lee had earlier been asked by one of his lieutenants if he intended to fight for the Confederacy or the Union, to which he replied, "I shall never bear arms against the Union, but it may be necessary for me to carry a musket in the defense of my native state, Virginia, in which case I shall not prove recreant to my duty."[61] Meanwhile, Lee ignored an offer of command from the CSA. After Lincoln's call for troops to put down the rebellion, it was obvious that Virginia would quickly secede. So Lee turned down an April 18 offer to become a major general in the U.S. Army, resigned on April 20 and took up command of the Virginia state forces on April 23."

Also, in reading Lees Letters I get the impression that he felt torn between his love of country, the United States of America, and his duty, in his words "to defend Hearth and Home".

I guess I can respect that, even though I have no respect at all for the Confederate cause.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 01-15-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Chas - Are you familiar with the Lee-Custis House and its history? Lee's inherited home was taken by the Federal Govt and became Arlington Natl Cemetery.

Good read.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/arlhouse.htm
To the victor goes the spoils. I was aware of that.

A tragic case of one who does what he considers to be the "right" thing as opposed to the "smart" thing.

Chas
Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

A fine gentleman. I recently saw a PBS special on him. They now believe he had a major heart attack during the war, and simply worked through it.

When I think of him, I think of the statement, that all Duty is based on Honor.

It'd be interesting to have a barbeque here, 13 F and blowing snow.

Pete