Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:30 AM

Roe V Wade history?

Looks like it will happen. The leaked draft puts a fine point on the takeover feared yet hoping would not happen.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/02/polit...urt/index.html

This argument by the "Christian" or "Religious" has always bothered me. About life and the beginning there of. I beg to ask, do they in reality actually believe in a after life at all. Secretly have doubts and seek to reinforce or bolster this failing by their opposition.

For if they believed in a afterlife a heaven and a all powerful. Then just what do they think would happen. The child goes to heaven skipping the suffering on earth, goes into another body....

Now it is easier to understand their arguments if this is it, one and done. No afterlife to go to.

As to my personal thoughts. Like to think if faced with the decision would choose life over an abortion. As a male never had the fears of getting pregnant or a partner with a unwanted one.

Sad how the same ones who are pushing so hard on the abortion issues also fight just as hard for gun rights....

In all these years of mine one of the life lessons have learned. Religion and hypocrisy are the two sides of the same coin.

Last edited by Oerets; 05-03-2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2022, 07:06 AM
Area Man

You ask a deep question for which I have no answer, Barney.

I wonder how they will react once all of these unwanted babies hit the already overburdened adoption market?
Will all these Bible toting do-gooders adopt them all? I seriously doubt it.
Will they support building orphanages to care for them? Only if you can show them a way to get rich off of it.

My father once said to me; "If you want to know why a previous generation changed they way we do something, change it back. I'm guessing you won't like what happens."

Interesting times ahead.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:30 AM

Bluestreak, its not just the unwanted babies who will suffer, but, also the women who resort to dangerous alternatives. Remember the coat hanger from years past? And, then, I suspect the medical procedure known as a D&C will once again become popular as a way to "correct one's monthly period".

And, the same people who say the government can't tell them what to do with their bodies when it comes to vaccines are the same ones who support the government telling us what we can and can not do with our bodies when it comes to abortion. Go figure.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:19 AM

The Religious Reich see abortion as a holy abomination and getting it banned will get them a free pass through the Holy Gates. They care about the fetus right up until it's born. The Rethuglicans see supporting the banning of abortions as a way to harness the voting power of the so-called holy Christians. Never mind when the majority of Americans are in favor of allowing abortions to those who want them, the Repubs don't give a rat's ass about the wishes of the majority or majority rule.

Your body your choice as long as it's what we want you to choose.

Last edited by RickeyM; 05-03-2022 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
The Religious Reich see abortion as a holy abomination and getting it banned will get them a free pass through the Holy Gates. They care about the fetus right up until it's born. The Rethuglicans see supporting the banning of abortions as a way to harness the voting power of the so-called holy Christians. Never mind when the majority of Americans are in favor of allowing abortions to those who want them, the Repubs don't give a rat's ass about the wishes of the majority or majority rule.

Your body your choice as long as it's what we want you to choose.
1) I think you'll find that the public's opinions on abortion really haven't changed that much over time. Gallup has been tracking the polling on this for decades. According to their data, as I read it, the most notable migration of opinion is from those who think abortion shouldn't be allowed at all to those who think abortion should be allowed only in limited circumstances. In other words, based on Gallups decades of tracking, most folks still don't think abortion on demand is OK.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

2) It's interesting to me that this topic is in the "Religion and Politics" subforum. It's easy to blame the "religious right" for the public sentiment regarding abortion. But, again referencing the Gallup data, that would suggest that the approx 70% of folks who believe abortion should not be legal, or only legal under limited circumstances, are Bible thumpers. I don't think that's true either.

3) "They care about the fetus up until its born" is another example of a narrative that doesn't reflect the facts. There are scores of charitable organizations out there - some aligned with faith-based organizations and some not - that support single mothers and single-parent families, both during and after delivery.

Both sides in this argument tend to talk in absolutes. The reality, like the Gallup poll that indicates that most folks favor abortion in limited circumstances, suggests that agreement and public sentiment can be found somewhere in between the two poles.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:16 AM

Republicans have delivered on Roe v. Wade. They may regret it.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/op...261012177.html

Anyone who thinks this isn't a religious political issue is utterly clueless. Blue wave coming? Let's hope so. This highly politicized SCOTUS is itching to take away many more rights. They've already decimated the Voting Rights act, remember.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:25 AM

Sen. Collins: 'Completely inconsistent' that Gorsuch, Kavanaugh would support overturning Roe v. Wade

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna27099

They lied to you, Susie. They’re disgusting white make conservatives. It’s what they always do.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:43 AM

I find the argument that abortion is not mentioned in the Constitution to be inconsistent at best.

Automatic weapons aren't mentioned in the Constitution, either. Or the Internet. Or space exploration. Are we to ignore modern day concerns because of a document penned 250 years ago?
Old 05-03-2022, 12:03 PM
Jigsawed

The religious right might push the anti-abortion agenda but I suspect there is a significant number of people who are anti and are not religious.

In the absolute abortion is murder. Many people look at the absolute and make adjustments with time...15 weeks...23 weeks. WTF.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Looks like it will happen. The leaked draft puts a fine point on the takeover feared yet hoping would not happen.
For me, the story is not what decision they have or have not made. The ONLY issue for me is the leak. This is unprecedented.