Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-13-2022, 06:02 PM

Seeing the various conservatives and Reich-Wingers and Faux newsies cheering on the Ottawa Occupation and the Ambassador Bridge Blockade something seems wrong about this picture. Tell me if I'm wrong but weren't these same people the ones throwing fits when BLM protesters filed onto roadways blocking traffic? Some Republican politician, I forget where, even said they wouldn't prosecute anyone who happened to hit people in the roadway with their vehicles. Gee, I wonder what the difference is? Repubs take hypocrisy to a whole 'nuther level.

On a positive note, some residents of Ottawa have had enough and begun blocking vehicles attempting to join the occupiers. Blockading the blockaders, sweet.

Last edited by RickeyM; 02-13-2022 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:23 PM
reflexionar

Yep, both parties doing essentially the same things. Doesn't matter how wrong it is, its OK as long as the other side did it first. Problem is its been going on so long now nobody remembers who was first. One of the biggest reasons I remain unaffiliated.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:58 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
Seeing the various conservatives and Reich-Wingers and Faux newsies cheering on the Ottawa Occupation and the Ambassador Bridge Blockade something seems wrong about this picture. Tell me if I'm wrong but weren't these same people the ones throwing fits when BLM protesters filed onto roadways blocking traffic? Some Republican politician, I forget where, even said they wouldn't prosecute anyone who happened to hit people in the roadway with their vehicles. Gee, I wonder what the difference is? Repubs take hypocrisy to a whole 'nuther level.

On a positive note, some residents of Ottawa have had enough and begun blocking vehicles attempting to join the occupiers. Blockading the blockaders, sweet.
Oklahoma and Florida passed laws shielding drivers who hit protestors. https://slate.com/business/2021/04/d...publicans.html
Old 02-14-2022, 08:05 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
Yep, both parties doing essentially the same things. Doesn't matter how wrong it is, its OK as long as the other side did it first. Problem is its been going on so long now nobody remembers who was first. One of the biggest reasons I remain unaffiliated.
Right. Both parties equally bad. No point in preferring one over the other. You are in this way excusing the party trying to suppress voters and legalize the stealing of elections, and on this basis can excuse them of anything. But ho-hum.
Old 02-14-2022, 08:49 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Right. Both parties equally bad. No point in preferring one over the other. You are in this way excusing the party trying to suppress voters and legalize the stealing of elections, and on this basis can excuse them of anything. But ho-hum.
You make it sound like unaffiliated is synonymous with apathetic. I could reserve apathy to those who are in power and refuse to do their job. I still vote and make my voice heard.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
...Tell me if I'm wrong but weren't these same people the ones throwing fits when BLM protesters filed onto roadways blocking traffic? Some Republican politician, I forget where, even said they wouldn't prosecute anyone who happened to hit people in the roadway with their vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Oklahoma and Florida passed laws shielding drivers who hit protestors. https://slate.com/business/2021/04/d...publicans.html
Yeah, those are the ones. Open season on brown people in the streets.

Meanwhile, north of the border: YANKEE GO HOME!

“Something Popped Yesterday”

Quote:
“Ottawans are just fed up. We’re done. I’ll tell you, something popped yesterday,” said Micah Clark, who has lived in Ottawa for 16 years. “We’re just trying to live our lives, and our city’s been turned into a punching bag by a bunch of people who didn’t do real well in civics class.”
Quote:
Sunday’s pushback comes after a large counterprotest gathered Saturday in the Glebe, a neighborhood south of downtown, urging the trucker convoy to leave the city. Residents are expecting more demonstrations in the coming days designed to obstruct movement and make the lives of protesters less comfortable.
I fully expect the instigators to try such "Convoys" in the US. Plenty of Reich-Wing dark money out there to sponsor them. I also expect people who've seen what this noisy minority have done in Canada to take steps to thwart it here. A few of those big dump trucks in key intersections or blocking certain highway off ramps should be able to have the necessary effect. Oh they may get away with it out in West Bumfuck but after what happened Jan 6th, 2021 I don't think the authorities in DC will just roll over like the authorities did in Canada.

Last edited by RickeyM; 02-14-2022 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:08 PM

New Zealand hopes Barry Manilow, James Blunt and the Macarena can disperse protesters

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/14/10806...-barry-manilow

ROFL. It would sure make me want to surrender, lol.

Last edited by Chicks; 02-14-2022 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:54 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
You make it sound like unaffiliated is synonymous with apathetic. I could reserve apathy to those who are in power and refuse to do their job. I still vote and make my voice heard.
I always find the 'they both do it' argument a reality distortion, sort of like saying both Nazis and AOC are bad for America, as if AOC is actually evil. (Maybe you disagree, but I think AOC is manifestly a decent person, rather more articulate and intelligent than the average for the US Congress.)

Even the thing that triggered this exchange, the matter of protestors blocking highways, does not seem equivalent to me.The support for the 'Convoy Protest' by what now passes for mainline conservatism (that is, the Trump GOP and it's media allies) is far more pervasive and unqualified than left wing support has been for unlawful acts by Occupy Wall Street, or BLM roadblocks.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
New Zealand hopes Barry Manilow, James Blunt and the Macarena can disperse protesters

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/14/10806...-barry-manilow

ROFL. It would sure make me want to surrender, lol.
Nah, they need an assortment of Gangsta Rap from one of the streaming services. You don't want them to surrender, you want them to leave, lol.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:44 AM

Cool Poor deluded idiots.

They thought they were protesting (initially) Covid mandates. Actually they're up against a much bigger foe.

Here’s how much the ‘Freedom Convoy’ has cost the U.S. and Canada

The Ottawa Occupation Force is but a noisy minority. They will only be allowed to interfere with commerce for so long.