Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
It's the social power of their faith, not the faith itself, that is checked by changes like that. Religionists want to be able to 'mark the territory' with tokens of their faith culture, and they correctly perceive that their desired dominance is lessened if they are prevented in some cases from doing so--though they very likely don't understand their own motives in these terms....

Don't think it's just religious types that do this, though. Church bells and big boom-booms in the car, all same.
It is just a trait of man to make others feel inferior.some people are so insecure they need to try and bring others into there realm.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:46 AM

Sorry i coulnt resist,I think it fits this thread,music is a very good media to sometimes relay things
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EzvcAO4VuQ

Last edited by one1; 11-17-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
It's the social power of their faith, not the faith itself, that is checked by changes like that. Religionists want to be able to 'mark the territory' with tokens of their faith culture, and they correctly perceive that their desired dominance is lessened if they are prevented in some cases from doing so--though they very likely don't understand their own motives in these terms....

Don't think it's just religious types that do this, though. Church bells and big boom-booms in the car, all same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
It is just a trait of man to make others feel inferior.some people are so insecure they need to try and bring others into there realm.
Hmmmmmm............

I've often wondered about competitive types and how this relates to them.
Don't get me wrong, a certain measure of competition in the right areas is good. But, some people are so competitive they cannot stand to be outdone in any way whatsoever. I guess these folks can be found everywhere, even in organized religion. Thus the "dick measuring" that goes on when people start bragging about how many times they've read the Bible, for example*. This would be a form of insecurity as well.

Dave

(*Which I've always regarded as pure silliness. If you have to read any book more than 2-3 times and you still don't "get it"..............Know what I mean?)
Old 11-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Ready

Cultural chauvinism and competitiveness, to include 'winning through intimidation,' do seem to pretty much be human universals, though obviously some people have more extreme cases....
Old 11-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I have different take. I have always attended churches where the pastors had advanced degrees. I much prefer that perspective to many of the amateur preachers I have seen. The education gives them the ability to teach from an historical perspective and to provide trained pastoral counseling. There are significant demands from the congregation for visitation, and of course for organizational management. They also have to work their way up the ranks, working first as associate pastors. Some have the responsibility for two or more churches from small towns. I don't begrudge someone who has devoted a significant portion of their lives to obtain education and training to also earning a decent salary.

Regards,

D-Ray
We are in agreement counselor. The pastors I grew up with were schooled and hard working.

Pete
Old 11-18-2013, 02:29 PM

You know guys, religion doesn't HAVE to be boring.

http://www.brimtime.com/2013/11/past...us-snakes.html

Chas