Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
Funny you should mention him of all people. This one stands out.

"When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bullshit story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there’s an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever ’til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He’s all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can’t handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. Holy Shit!

But I want you to know something, this is sincere, I want you to know, when it comes to believing in God, I really tried. I really, really tried. I tried to believe that there is a God, who created each of us in His own image and likeness, loves us very much, and keeps a close eye on things. I really tried to believe that, but I gotta tell you, the longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize, something is fucked up.

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed. Results like these do not belong on the résumé of a Supreme Being. This is the kind of shit you’d expect from an office temp with a bad attitude. And just between you and me, in any decently-run universe, this guy would’ve been out on his all-powerful ass a long time ago. And by the way, I say “this guy”, because I firmly believe, looking at these results, that if there is a God, it has to be a man.

No woman could or would ever fuck things up like this. So, if there is a God, I think most reasonable people might agree that he’s at least incompetent, and maybe, just maybe, doesn’t give a shit. Doesn’t give a shit, which I admire in a person, and which would explain a lot of these bad results."

Credit to:
George Carlin~Religion is Bullshit
I completely agree with him on man-made religion. However, when it comes to his comments on ANY supreme being, he is speaking from a position of ignorance. He might as well be my dog saying i'm stupid because it makes no sense that I would leave the house five days a week and not be with him. But then, my dog doesn't understand the concept of a mortgage or an electric bill. And that's ok. It's not his job.

So yes, when Carlin zings man made religion and made up gods, I'm right there with him. I've seen that routine and laughed out loud at some of it.

But when he points his finger at our creator, it's less funny. Sure, he's just poking fun at the imaginary gods made up by so many men, but he has zero concept of the actual creator of mankind. Really, none of us do. But I do know this: He's not some guy sitting up in the sky.

And if one is concerned about all the bad stuff going on, they should read C. S. Lewis' book, The Problem of Pain. It's over fifty years old but covers the subject very well. It was written as he watched his wife die.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:23 AM

America shuts down again -- choosing reality over The Orange Shitstain's lies

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/polit...rus/index.html

Wear a freakin' mask, people!
Old 07-14-2020, 08:28 AM

...and CNN.

Last edited by Not Insane; 07-14-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:38 AM

How did Florida get so badly hit by Covid-19?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53357742

Quote:
In May and June, Governor Ron DeSantis had said reopening was feasible as cases had declined. He promised no roll-backs.

As cases began rising, Mr DeSantis in June reversed his decision to allow bars to reopen. But he has refused to require masks statewide, though local leaders in major cities like Miami have done so, and has joined President Donald Trump in emphasising the importance of keeping the economy open.

"The way that we've acted after our initial lockdowns has perpetuated the problem," Dr Marty says. "It was a failure because they didn't do it right the first time."

Dr Marty, who also serves as a World Health Organization adviser, says establishing a contact tracing and isolating system while the state was in lockdown was one key step that never happened.

A lack of early testing of asymptomatic individuals plus weeks of civil unrest, between anti-lockdown protesters and marches against racial inequality, have also worsened the situation.

But even as Florida's numbers continue to trend upwards, Mr DeSantis said last week he felt the state's numbers had stabilised, telling residents: "There's no need to be fearful."
Pretty simple. An idiot Trumpkin governor.

Quote:
As of 13 July, there are just over 13,700 hospital beds - about 22% of the total - still available in the state, according to data from the Agency for Health Care Administration. Nearly half of all the ICUs in the state report being at least 90% full, leaving under 1,200 beds available. Over 40 hospitals are already at capacity.

"There's a limited number of trained and ready professionals," Dr Marty says. "We're talking about doctors, we're talking about nurses, we're talking about aides of all kinds - that know how to even use the kind of equipment that we need to use. A brain surgeon has no idea how to use a ventilator."

Florida will be importing over 100 nurses in the next few days, and it seems likely the state will need to import doctors as well. Personal protective equipment - essential for keeping staff safe and containing the virus' spread in care settings - is also running low again.

"We're stressed out," Dr Marty says. "Nurses are coming to me because they're being told to wear surgical masks instead of N95s because we don't have N95s."
Guess which state is most likely to turn Blue in Nov?
Old 07-14-2020, 08:48 AM

Very helpful in understanding what is going on. The money quote is in the first minute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1z664H7EiA
Old 07-14-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post

I have four n-95's in my shop that I bought 3 years ago. The whole point of these masks is that when you exhale, little trap doors open to allow you to exhale freely. i.e. they are there to protect you, not others.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Ask yourself, "why are cases up but deaths still down?" The answer is in the video I posted above.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:00 AM

Hard to believe there are still ignorant fools who don’t know the difference between medical N95s and shop-use N95s, but some folks are incredibly uninformed, clearly.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:11 AM

MAGAMoron shows Kansas restaurant worker his gun after being pressed about mask

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...-his-gun-after

Freakin' moron.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Hard to believe there are still ignorant fools who don’t know the difference between medical N95s and shop-use N95s, but some folks are incredibly uninformed, clearly.
Bullchit. Educate yourself: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...r-use-faq.html

Scroll down to "respirators" and then expand the ones about n95.

Right off the bat you see this: N95 respirators reduce the wearer’s exposure to airborne particles, from small particle aerosols to large droplets. N95 respirators are tight-fitting respirators that filter out at least 95% of particles in the air, including large and small particles.

And this: An N95 respirator with an exhalation valve does provide the same level of protection to the wearer as one that does not have a valve. The presence of an exhalation valve reduces exhalation resistance, which makes it easier to breathe (exhale). Some users feel that a respirator with an exhalation valve keeps the face cooler and reduces moisture build up inside the facepiece. However, respirators with exhalation valves should not be used in situations where a sterile field must be maintained (e.g., during an invasive procedure in an operating or procedure room) because the exhalation valve allows unfiltered exhaled air to escape into the sterile field.

Grocery stores are not sterile fields.

FWIW, I just cut slots in my free Costco mask so I can breathe very comfortably. I rarely wear it, though. And it's really getting ratty looking with the coffee stains and all...