Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:34 PM

Like I said, the Indians are leaving the reservation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoMND...layer_embedded

Can't blame this on "Fix News".

Chas
Old 08-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Abby Normal

I don't know why the AARP folks are spooked.

I know know one who complains about Medicare.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:01 PM

Frankly? I'm delighted to see the protests, the uproar, the indignation.
I'm proud to see seniors fighting mad... and fighting back.

I was under the distinct impression that AARP was supposed to represent the interests of seniors to the government, not the interests of the government to seniors.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Resident octogenarian

These protesters are all planted by the GOP, they have an active campaign going on for their supporters to pack town hall meetings and other events. Couple that with all of Dr. No's lies about the trillion dollar cost - that is over ten years, so about 140 billion a year. There will be savings to offset that cost as things get rolling. Or the offer to cover end care counselling - he says it is government euthanasia. Or the idea that government is going to take over everything with the public insurance company - I will hereby bet $100 that the public plan is dead in the water, not that it was not a good idea.

I am also saying here that the GOP is flat out spreading lies and fighting dirty, but then what else could I expect.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
Frankly? I'm delighted to see the protests, the uproar, the indignation.
I'm proud to see seniors fighting mad... and fighting back.

I was under the distinct impression that AARP was supposed to represent the interests of seniors to the government, not the interests of the government to seniors.
Tell me why you feel the old should be worried. Medicare is generally accepted as a great plan and I know of no seniors who are not thrilled to have it.
I know the old are worried because of Fox and the GOP, but rationally, why should they be if Medicare is such a success?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Resident octogenarian

Son at 78 I am not worried in the least 'cause if they do screw it up I can always head for the Great White North.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Rob, since you're now an American would you have to go through the same BS to return as a Canadian citizen?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
These protesters are all planted by the GOP, they have an active campaign going on for their supporters to pack town hall meetings and other events. Couple that with all of Dr. No's lies about the trillion dollar cost - that is over ten years, so about 140 billion a year. There will be savings to offset that cost as things get rolling. Or the offer to cover end care counselling - he says it is government euthanasia. Or the idea that government is going to take over everything with the public insurance company - I will hereby bet $100 that the public plan is dead in the water, not that it was not a good idea.

I am also saying here that the GOP is flat out spreading lies and fighting dirty, but then what else could I expect.

I hope you can understand why FOLKS (Obambam's word) would expect to voice their opinion merrylander. The situation either affects them or their families. You are very Pro Canada in your posts...yet no one has taken you to task for your loyalty to Canada's health care. OR if you are not happy with our American way of life to return to your country.
I am so glad you are an American... and more so because you choose to be here. Others have no choice.
I met another Canadian today who came to the states to receive cancer treatment she was given less than a year to live and the waiting list would take her beyond her limit. Injustice happens. And when it concerns the health and welfare of a human being...we should all be ashamed and disgusted.

The problem most people have understanding is...we seniors want to have the care we choose to extend our lives...not have an evaluator make a decision for us. Whether you believe what you read or see by the talking heads...is immaterial. Free speech and the right to assemble is our right.

If you thing this interaction is a set up...you're wrong! They have the Ba**s to do what young citizens should be doing to protect them.
I feel if we could just KNOW the true facts about this plan...and set aside party politics we could be more clear headed. But...the reps don't even know the full jist of the more than 1,000 pages themselves.

Last edited by painter; 08-07-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
I feel if we could just KNOW the true facts about this plan...and set aside party politics we could be more clear headed. But...the reps don't even know the full jist of the more than 1,000 pages themselves.
EXACTLY! Not only don't they know what is in the pages but they feel the need to "hurry up and pass it" before it's time has passed.

What is the large rush? We've been this long, how 'bout we take our time in going over just who's going to do what, to who, for how long, and finally payed for by who? I'm sure there should be a whom in there somewhere
Old 08-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinover View Post

What is the large rush? We've been this long, how 'bout we take our time in going over just who's going to do what, to who, for how long, and finally payed for by who? I'm sure there should be a whom in there somewhere
The rush is the political process. The longer it can be delayed the greater the chances it will not be passed. That is just how it is with this political system. Party first, country second.
It's very sad that it has come to this.