Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Persona non grata

Single-Payer Advocates: It Hurts To Say I Told You So

I couldn't agree with this article more.

We already have the system in place (Medicare) and we have a bill in congress to expand it to include everyone:

http://www.pnhp.org/publications/uni...are-act-hr-676

So why don't we just do it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...tml?ref=topbar

Quote:
The botched implementation of Obamacare has created a bittersweet moment for advocates of a universal, single-payer health care system: They saw this coming, but they can't gloat about it.

"We may have an 'I-told-you-so' moment, but it's hard to get any pleasure out of it knowing how many people are actually going to get hurt," said Stephanie Woolhandler, a New York-based doctor who co-founded Physicians for a National Health Program, a group that pushes for universal health care. "You had a bad system, and you're putting a patch on it using the same flawed insurance companies that got us here in the first place," she said.

In the seven weeks since the insurance exchanges created by the Affordable Care Act debuted, Obamacare has been defined by faulty websites, millions of canceled health plans and uncertainty about whether President Barack Obama's administration can set up a new marketplace for private health insurance that protects consumers against industry practices like excluding the sick, while ensuring less-well-off Americans can afford coverage.

Single-payer advocates favor scrapping private health insurance and enrolling everyone in a program akin to Medicare with a comprehensive set of benefits that is financed through taxation, one whose primary focus is providing medical care, not earning profits.
continued
Old 11-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Admin

Sounds about right to me, Tom.

Congress bent everyone over with the way they structured the PPACA while keeping old man Kaiser's (and his ilk) and that crook Nixons' healthcare scheme in place.

Meanwhile at the least, this new law is lightyears ahead of the rigged game we had before, where getting really sick meant personal bankruptcy at best or f**k off and die, for most anyone in the middle class.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:24 PM

I think we need to give it a chance.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:08 AM

That is what some are afraid of!

Barney