Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:44 AM
reflexionar

It would probably get modeled after the social security tax base, where the employer matches an employees tax contribution. Hopefully they won't limit it up to a dollar amount in income so it all falls on the middle class again like social security does.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:47 AM

I think the tax rate on the very wealthy would have to go up significantly......that is why the Koch brothers hate Obamacare so much...it is a step toward single payer.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I mean the GOP will be up in arms if we had to increase taxes or cut defense to pay for single payer.
Oh yeah, they would scream their tits off like a tree full of Chinese Monkeys.

To the right wingers every dime that goes to the government for anything other than bombing brown people is a complete waste, while every dime that goes to the private sector is a first class "investment" in Truth, Justice and the American Way. The reality is a hell of a lot of money that is being taken from us by private corporations is a rip off. This is especially true about the rapaciously greedy Health Care Industrial Complex. On the other hand there are many examples where the public gets excellent returns for their tax dollars, such as the Canadians do with their Health Care System.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Resident octogenarian

We had single payer when I still lived in Canada, there I paid income tax to the Federal government, they returned their share to the province. The income tax form was four pages long.

Down here I paid less 'incone' tax, but when you added in FICA and Medicare and Maryland State it was the same amount as I paid in Cabada on an equivalent income, just bloody complex for no good reason. I gave up trying to do my own taxes and hired an accountant.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Another thing is right now it is the insurance company telling
you that you cannot get that procedure done. Under single payer it will be the US government telling you no or you have to wait.

Rationing of care will be another huge weapon. It happens now but it is not done by gubmint.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Another thing is right now it is the insurance company telling
you that you cannot get that procedure done. Under single payer it will be the US government telling you no or you have to wait.

Rationing of care will be another huge weapon. It happens now but it is not done by gubmint.
Right. We went through that recently in our family. One of my sisters has needed heart surgery a month and a half ago. They have finally set a date for December 16th. In the meanwhile, her health continues to decline. Certain people in the family have not uttered a peep. But, I know damn well had it involved the government in any way, they would be climbing the walls, raising all sorts of hell and buying ammo to beat the band.

I never could understand how slow moving and/or incompetent private industry gets a pass with these people. When it gets right down to it, what damn difference does it really make who's screwing you?

Dave
Old 11-29-2013, 01:22 PM
reflexionar

One would hope that they would leave the ultimate authority to the doctor and patient. Maybe they feel that to soften the blow to the insurance companies they can transfer to malpractice insurance to cover all the wrongful death suits brought against the FED for not authorizing a procedure.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
One would hope that they would leave the ultimate authority to the doctor and patient. Maybe they feel that to soften the blow to the insurance companies they can transfer to malpractice insurance to cover all the wrongful death suits brought against the FED for not authorizing a procedure.

I agree with you about malpractice reform. I think doctors may be willing to settle for less compensation if they do not have to worry about paying out the nose for malpractice insurance.

However when it is the government setting compensation rates and paying doctors for procedures they will have to have a say in what is done and how it is scheduled.

These doctors might not be government employees, but getting paid by the government makes them defacto government doctors.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:46 PM
reflexionar

Of course they will have their say, but when a doctor says this procedure is necessary immediately or the patient will die, I don't think we can really afford to wait 6 weeks for a decision.

Maybe we could save a few more bucks and integrate the VA into the system too.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
Of course they will have their say, but when a doctor says this procedure is necessary immediately or the patient will die, I don't think we can really afford to wait 6 weeks for a decision.

Maybe we could save a few more bucks and integrate the VA into the system too.
Oh I am not talking about a trauma setting at all. I am talking about the other aspects of medicine, such as family practice and internal medicine.