Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:17 PM
Admin

Oregon and Kentucky Primaries 5/17

Not much polling going on here with these two states. One outlier has Clinton up 15% in Oregon which seems counterintuitive but who knows?

Cheers.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:31 PM

I think Bernie has a good shot at taking both. Oregon should be a cinch and Hillary's largely misinterpreted comments about coal will cost her Kentucky.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:07 PM

I'm curious, why are they even having these primaries when it's already been decided?
Old 05-16-2016, 05:42 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
One outlier has Clinton up 15% in Oregon which seems counterintuitive but who knows?

The Oregon Primary has been "fixed" for Clinton.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...losed-primary/
Quote:
Yet thousands of voters who received ballots in the mail over the past few weeks may have been surprised to learn they can’t cast a vote in the presidential primaries. Oregon operates closed primaries, meaning that only registered Democrats can decide between Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton, and only registered Republicans can decide between Donald Trump and the ghosts of Ted Cruz and John Kasich, who have already bowed out of the race. Under the new DMV system, voters are automatically registered as “unaffiliated,” and later receive a form in the mail giving them the option to change their party affiliation or opt out entirely. The vast majority — 76 percent — did not take that extra step by the late April deadline, and thus can’t participate in the presidential primary.
Kentucky also uses the Soviet Style Closed Primary System.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 05-16-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I think Bernie has a good shot at taking both. Oregon should be a cinch and Hillary's largely misinterpreted comments about coal will cost her Kentucky.
New kids on the block (Benchmark Politics) are calling it 51-49 for Sanders for what it's worth.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
New kids on the block (Benchmark Politics) are calling it 51-49 for Sanders for what it's worth.
So Hillary still gets all the delegates then.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:08 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
So Hillary still gets all the delegates then.
Even split of pledged delegates if it's that close. Dems award proportionally.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:20 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
The Oregon Primary has been "fixed" for Clinton.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...losed-primary/

Kentucky also uses the Soviet Style Closed Primary System.
"Under the new DMV system, voters are automatically registered as “unaffiliated,” and later receive a form in the mail giving them the option to change their party affiliation or opt out entirely. The vast majority — 76 percent — did not take that extra step by the late April deadline, and thus can’t participate in the presidential primary."

How does that make it "fixed"? Sounds like those voters dropped the ball by not affiliating. <shrug>
Maybe Sanders should've educated his voters?
Old 05-16-2016, 06:29 PM

It's a way of disenfranchising voters who do not identify with either party, in a system where only the two parties are allowed to put forward a candidate. Either join a party or you don't get a choice. You're stuck with whoever the party decided.

What I'm seeing is 76% of the voters don't identify with either party so they are having candidates forced upon them by the minority.

How is that in any way shape or form a democracy?
Old 05-16-2016, 06:37 PM

I repeat what my ex-partner told me back in 1992. America has one political party with two names, each consumed by getting their members re-elected that they have very little interest in governance.