Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Running for office?

Running for office in the house or senate used to mean that u wanted to do something important in the government to help your country,what ever happened to that? As i got home and turned on the television a commercial came on about a person running for office, but said nothing about what they wanted to help do, only what the other person running had done wrong, Now you may think that yes while you want to show some bad qualities of the opposing person, shouldn't you be also be telling good qualities about yourself? The government has become a bad mouthing competition between people, DO these people REALLY deserve to represent the American people?
Old 10-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Running for office in the house or senate used to mean that u wanted to do something important in the government to help your country,what ever happened to that? As i got home and turned on the television a commercial came on about a person running for office, but said nothing about what they wanted to help do, only what the other person running had done wrong, Now you may think that yes while you want to show some bad qualities of the opposing person, shouldn't you be also be telling good qualities about yourself? The government has become a bad mouthing competition between people, DO these people REALLY deserve to represent the American people?
Good point my naive friend. Modern campaigning is not about what people say. It's about images that can be created, emotions that can be exploited, and sound bites that can be remembered - even by a TV addicted public with a declining attention span. Politicians don't worry about defining themselves if they can be the first to define their opponent.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-08-2010, 04:39 PM

That is the reason i asked, are these truly the kind of people who should be running the government the kind that believe they have to make the other person look bad all the time instead of trying to better themselves and the country Isn't this the reason of the government not being as good as it set out to be, to much human ambition for position and not enough actual talent and ability, just because you can slander someone else doesn't mean that you can run a nation.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
That is the reason i asked, are these truly the kind of people who should be running the government the kind that believe they have to make the other person look bad all the time instead of trying to better themselves and the country Isn't this the reason of the government not being as good as it set out to be, to much human ambition for position and not enough actual talent and ability, just because you can slander someone else doesn't mean that you can run a nation.
The democracy we have today is a far cry from the democracy practiced by the ancient Greeks, or even by our revered "Founding Fathers." In Greece the democracy was only among the aristocracy - it didn't include slaves or women. By and large the only ones to participate in the direct democracy practiced then were considerable educated than others.

When the Constitution was set up to assure democracy for we the people, the people included only propertied white men. Slaves were excluded, tenant farmers were excluded, and women were considered chattel owned by their husbands, who certainly could not be entrusted with the vote.

It is much easier to manipulate public opinion with the boob tube than it was to sway the opinions of the aristocracy. It's the trade-off we have made. Today's reality is that actual democracy only occurs when the money people make an error in crafting their talking points, or when an outsider gets hot before he or she can be bought.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-09-2010, 02:11 AM

Voluntarism + limited direct democracy is the way to go.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
The REPUBLIC Regards,

D-Ray
Correction made. You lefty's just twist, spin, lie, and are just stupid.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
That is exactly what I was thinking when my local rep John Hall was on.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
WOW! That was inspiring! You're posts are always so stimulating and thought provoking. I am amazed that with you being the only thing that keeps the world economy alive, you have anytime at all to stop by and impart upon us your deep and wonderous wisdom.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-10-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:24 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
Your alteration makes no sense, unless you are suggesting that, because we have a republican form of government, we have no democracy. If you have a issue with the history included in the above post, read the Constitution, read an American history book, and get your understanding of American history and the Constitution from someone other that the Fox jester, who makes it up as he goes along.

Now, if you want to talk about intelligence, demonstrate that you have some and give us a logical explanation of what you see as spinning or a lie, and tell us what evidence you rely on to conclude that it is a lie. In the absence of evidence to support your conclusion, I will assume that it is false. Similarly, if you can't do better than the above in expressing your disagreement, you might want to reconsider who has earned the stupid tag.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-10-2010, 02:04 AM
Area Man

He's not stupid. He is the great and indispensable small businessman, the cornerstone of human civilization. The mighty foundation upon which the entrie world of us slackers and loungeabouts rests. Why, without him we would all be wandering in the darkness, wondering when the Obama-God will throw us our next bucket of gruel. He is the center, the hub of the universe, the oracle from which all wisdom flows and knowledge originates.

(On bended knee.)

OH, GREAT AND WONDERFULL SMALL BUSINESS OWNER, I HAVE FORSAKEN YOU!
WITHOUT YOU WHERE WOULD SUCH A WORTHLESS AND LOWLY BEING SUCH AS MYSELF BUY CHEAP BEER AND BLUNTS?! I ONCE CALLED YOU "FUCKSTAIN"! PLEASE HAVE MERCY ON MY PETTY AND INSIGNIFICANT SOUL, OH HE WHO DRIVES AROUND WITH LAWNMOWERS ON A TRAILER! HE WHO SERVES CANAPES AT BAR-MITZFAS, THE PURVEYOR OF CONDOMS AND OVERPRICED GASOLINE! ALL HAIL HIS HIGH HOLINESS FROM WHICH ALL THINGS GOOD AND JUST FLOW!!!!!!!

On second thought----BLOW ME, dj.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-10-2010 at 10:27 AM.