in keeping this site going.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Just my 02 J. Yes, dead is dead.

Some of these scum deserve it imo, but it's not my opinion that makes it so

Pete
Old 10-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I'd say exile them to a desert isle, maybe Cleveland.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Hey! Don't be layin' any steamers on me!

Pete
Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Area Man

In the courtroom;

Spread plastic sheeting on the floor, table and chairs around the accused. When the death sentence is declared, the bailiff steps up and pumps two rounds into his head. (Bullets are cheaper than prison.)

If he lives he gets an appeal----that would be two more rounds. And so on.

If it turns out to be the wrong guy....Ooops! But the next guy gets the same deal.

If it's me? Guess I no longer have to worry about how I'm gonna pay for retirement now, do I?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-12-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Not too much different than stringing them up next daybreak

My dad used to say, 'Justice is for the strong'. I'll have to ask him exactly what he meant.

Pete
Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 AM

You see the reason that Death Penalty isn't a deterrent is because in a lot of ways it's similar to a life sentence, you get 10,000 appeals in which, the lawyers, the judge, even the bailiff are all paid out of our pockets. Seriously I garruntee that if we gave people only a couple of appeals and had them properly executed in a matter of weeks after being sentenced I bet you'd see a drop in serious crimes after the first 500 are killed. The only thing wrong with this is the question "Wat if we kill someone who's not guilty?" Well hardly ever do we convict someone of murder who is not guilty and even if it was me who was that 1 in a billion guy wrongly accused sentenced to death, I wouldn't care if it meant that thousands of terrible people get whats coming to them
Old 11-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtycommy View Post
You see the reason that Death Penalty isn't a deterrent is because in a lot of ways it's similar to a life sentence, you get 10,000 appeals in which, the lawyers, the judge, even the bailiff are all paid out of our pockets. Seriously I garruntee that if we gave people only a couple of appeals and had them properly executed in a matter of weeks after being sentenced I bet you'd see a drop in serious crimes after the first 500 are killed. The only thing wrong with this is the question "Wat if we kill someone who's not guilty?" Well hardly ever do we convict someone of murder who is not guilty and even if it was me who was that 1 in a billion guy wrongly accused sentenced to death, I wouldn't care if it meant that thousands of terrible people get whats coming to them
First off there are no solid statistics as to wrongful conviction but most studies show it to be in excess of 10% which is shockingly high.
Studies on police tactics and the power of suggestion as well as memory studies show that the 10% error rate may be a significantly low estimate.

Second, most murders are not committed folks like you and me and the laws have a negligible effect on capital crime because it is not a part of a reasoned process by the criminal. (appeals or no appeals)

Last edited by noonereal; 11-02-2010 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Resident octogenarian

People are tried by a jury of their peers, meaning I suppose people just like us. We none of us are perfect so innocent people sometimes find themselve in the wrong place at the wrong time. For this reason and no other I am against the death penalty.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
People are tried by a jury of their peers, meaning I suppose people just like us. We none of us are perfect so innocent people sometimes find themselve in the wrong place at the wrong time. For this reason and no other I am against the death penalty.
Same here.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Very well put.