Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:32 PM

Kind of a simple thought, but who the hell really knows?

And the people who claim that they do know no more than anyone else.

Chas
Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Chas
I'll drink to that!

and I know I can count on you to join me.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Area Man

Quote:

Chas
I sure as hell have no clue. Like I said, "Having not been there to see it..."

I think we should all just forget about it and have a drink.

Ya with me?

Dave
Old 11-29-2009, 07:24 AM
Resident octogenarian

Gee whiz guys, first there was Adam and he got lonely so then there was Eve. Then Adam screwed up and they got tossed out so he blamed it all on Eve. And that was the start of male chauvinism.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Sorry buddy, that's just not so. Why do people always say things like that about evolution when they accept so many other things? I haven't observed for myself that the stars in the sky are just like our sun. But I believe it. I haven't observed for myself that a nuclear bomb splits atoms. But I believe that too. Why wouldn't I believe evolution well explains the origin of life when it has so much evidence supporting it?

The problem with things like Intelligent Design is that they start with the answer and then look for facts that support that answer. That's not science. The Flying Spaghetti Monster explains this phenomenon pretty well.

I don't want to live in a world where nothing can be known. Sure, we can say "well, no way of knowing" but that's not really true. Shoot, as it is popular to say, gravity is just a theory. You don't *know* that if you jump off the roof of a building you'll fall to your death? I do.

Saying people who have devoted their lives to the study of life know no more about it than you and I is an insult to education. And it's the corner stone to the attack on intelligence and education that we're facing in this country. While we sit around and argue about inane crap like Intelligent Design and the "Myth" of Global Warming, the rest of the world is educating their children. We're working as hard as we can to return to the dark ages of mysticism and voodoo.

Just my opinion.

Ed
Old 11-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Resident octogenarian

Hey Ed, we had vodoo economics, why not? Sadly I must agree with you that mythology seems to be more popular than history.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Sorry buddy, that's just not so. Why do people always say things like that about evolution when they accept so many other things? I haven't observed for myself that the stars in the sky are just like our sun. But I believe it. I haven't observed for myself that a nuclear bomb splits atoms. But I believe that too. Why wouldn't I believe evolution well explains the origin of life when it has so much evidence supporting it?

The problem with things like Intelligent Design is that they start with the answer and then look for facts that support that answer. That's not science. The Flying Spaghetti Monster explains this phenomenon pretty well.

I don't want to live in a world where nothing can be known. Sure, we can say "well, no way of knowing" but that's not really true. Shoot, as it is popular to say, gravity is just a theory. You don't *know* that if you jump off the roof of a building you'll fall to your death? I do.

Saying people who have devoted their lives to the study of life know no more about it than you and I is an insult to education. And it's the corner stone to the attack on intelligence and education that we're facing in this country. While we sit around and argue about inane crap like Intelligent Design and the "Myth" of Global Warming, the rest of the world is educating their children. We're working as hard as we can to return to the dark ages of mysticism and voodoo.

Just my opinion.

Ed
WOW! Holy shit, Ed. And I thought nothing meaningfull would come out of this thread?

Beautifully stated, my Friend! Salut!!

Dave
Old 11-29-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
WOW! Holy shit, Ed. And I thought nothing meaningfull would come out of this thread?

Beautifully stated, my Friend! Salut!!
Thank you for the comment!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 PM

That's interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal;[I
11297]OK here I go. Evolution is much to limited to explain existence. It seems fine for explaining how random change got us here since the big bang however.
Frankly the way we think makes our existence unexplainable.
The one thing I am confident in is that everything that ever existed, still does and always will. I also believe it has and does always include infinite possibilities. Our consciousness is simply one of limitless manifestations of what is.
So think of evolution from the big bang on as one manifestation of existence which we occupy.
Think of creationism as a conscious entities first feeble attempt to explain this one manifestation.

[/I]

Do you hold with the view that our linear way of thinking is basically wrong? "Everything that ever existed still does and always will". Interesting; A point source instead of 'beginning, middle and end'. We're a proof based species; if it cannot be proven it doesn't exist, but then the more we research, the more anomalies we find in theory's that fit what we 'know'. So we invent dark matter, black holes etc. They or something like them have to exist, otherwise energy/mass doesn't balance. So we build fucking great machines like the Hadron Collider to throw very small somethings at each other at near light speed to see what happens.

Light speed. Scientists say it cannot be approached by anything bigger than a speck almost too small to exist. Light speed; measured from point of departure. Something that's always puzzled me. Imagine two planets circling different suns; one clockwise; one counter-clockwise. Call them A and B. At one point in their orbits their speeds as they approach each other is pretty damn fast. Planet A launches a rocket towards planet B, planet B launches a rocket towards planet A. Each rocket accelerates to half light speed as measured from their home planet but when they pass each other their relative speed is faster than light speed. Light speed cannot be crossed but measuring instruments on either rocket shows the other rocket approacing at light speed plus the speed of planets A and B.

Is there some stationary point that speed should be measured from? Where is it; the center of the universe? How can an infinite space have a center? If the universe is not infinite, what's beyond it? An infinite number of finite universes, all going through their expansion and contraction phases like a school of jellyfish???

According to my head doctor, following the strokes and epilepsy I have "numerous" lesions in what passes for my brain. Numerous means too many to count; are they infinite? Is this why I'm talking such profound bollocks?

Time for a beer; maybe two.

Jim.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

That's one heck of a post Jim, thanks.

Pete