Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:38 AM

They All Suck, But We'd Rather Have Repubs

WASHINGTON (AP) — Two weeks before Election Day, most of the nation's likely voters now expect the Republican Party to take control of the U.S. Senate, according to a new Associated Press-GfK poll. And by a growing margin, they say that's the outcome they'd like to see.

But the survey suggests many will cringe when they cast those ballots. Most likely voters have a negative impression of the Republican Party, and 7 in 10 are dissatisfied by its leaders in Congress.

The Democrats win few accolades themselves. Impressions of the party among likely voters have grown more negative in the past month. In fact, Democrats are more trusted than the GOP on just two of nine top issues, the poll showed.

Two other items of interest from the poll: it doesn't appear that the "War on Women" BS that the Dems were pushing was an effective political tactic. Looks like women have been trending toward Repubs:

In the new poll, the two parties are about even among women, 44 percent prefer the Republicans, 42 percent the Democrats.

Also, this:

Same-sex marriage? Only 32 percent said that was an extremely or very important issue to them personally, identical to the percentage saying so in September, before the Supreme Court effectively allowed same-sex marriages to proceed in five more states.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Ready

I wonder if voting preference has been analyzed on the dimensions of identity and status. I'm thinking that a lot of people vote Republican not because of issue positions, or because they like Republican nominees, but because they feel it's 'better' to be a Republican. In other words, Republican propaganda efforts to mark 'Democratic voters' as 'low status' and 'losers' have been effective.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Rational Anarchist

Starting with Reagan, Republican propaganda has been far more effectve than what the Democrats are coming up with. DQ's speculaive wondering observation, with which I concur, is evidence of this.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Ready

So it's not that 'we'd rather have Repubs, it's that 'we'd rather be Repubs.'
Old 10-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
They All Suck, But We'd Rather Have Repubs
Yeh sure, we'd rather have repubs like this schmuck:

Republican Governor Mike Pence of Indiana eliminated food stamps for tens of thousands of residents, only 5 months after handing banks and corporations the largest tax cut in state history. Almost makes one pine for the good old days when Mitch "The Knife" Daniels was only moderately screwing the poor and working class in Indiana.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Admin

Nice spin Mike.

So the structural advantages the 'pubbies enjoy in this mid term election means that they suck ass slightly less than the Democrats?

Does this mean that in Republican circles they are already viewing this election as vindication of conservative principles and somehow a huge mandate for their wackadoodle far right policies?

I can't wait for the articles of impeachment to be drawn up by the Tea howlers this spring.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Rational Anarchist

If you don't work you don't eat. Pence did it for their own good.

Last edited by nailer; 10-22-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Nice spin Mike.

So the structural advantages the 'pubbies enjoy in this mid term election means that they suck ass slightly less than the Democrats?

Does this mean that in Republican circles they are already viewing this election as vindication of conservative principles and somehow a huge mandate for their wackadoodle far right policies?

I can't wait for the articles of impeachment to be drawn up by the Tea howlers this spring.
That's what the poll is suggesting. Its not my "spin", but the conclusions of the poll. In the meantime, its a poll, its not Gospel, and it may have zero reflection on the outcome of the mid-term elections.

I don't know how this is being viewed in "Republican circles", but the NY Times editorial page is suggesting that Dems are in "panic" mode.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/22/op...bama.html?_r=0
Old 10-22-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Yeh sure, we'd rather have repubs like this schmuck:

Republican Governor Mike Pence of Indiana eliminated food stamps for tens of thousands of residents, only 5 months after handing banks and corporations the largest tax cut in state history. Almost makes one pine for the good old days when Mitch "The Knife" Daniels was only moderately screwing the poor and working class in Indiana.
Yup, left-leaning political advertising IS gospel for some.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 AM
Resident octogenarian

Lets face it the so called liberal media is not liberal. Look at who owns the media. As for polls tell me what outcome you would like and let me word the questions and I will guarantee the result.

So far no one has knocked on our door or questioned us over the phone, so who are these people they poll?

As for the GOP I would as soon elect a chimpanzee.