Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:52 AM
Rational Anarchist

Excellent article Beam On.

In today's environment wouldn't it be political suicide for an intelligent conservative to speak out?
Old 10-25-2014, 12:26 PM

Interesting opinion piece, too bad it has no currency in the present.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2014, 12:33 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Not in the countries in which these Globalization jobs were created.

BTW, are you as shocked as I that whell has us sharing the same bed?
I have no idea what you are talking about.

We are in a world-wide race to the bottom as far as worker compensation goes.

As for you in bed with Whell, why would I be shocked?

I'm the one who pegged you as a right winger in disguise before your post count got to double figures.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Can we hear from intelligent conservatives? Are there any?
I was the last one.

I unassed the Republicans in March of 2000, when it became apparent that Bush was going to get the nomination over McCain.

I turned out the lights on my way out.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
This is worth reading IMO.

Odd because I was a member of the Joe Clark Progressive Conservative Party back in Canada, but looking at some definitions with Bing I could not recognize myself. Yes we did like to hang on to ideas and concepts that had proven over time that they worked, but we were not averse to tweaking them if it made them better. The idea that we were closed minded as far as new ideas were concerned is not true. Vast changes simply for the sake of making changes seemed a senseless idea. When my Member of Parliament died young the Party must have found our correspondence in his files because they called my ex hoping I would run to replace him but I had already left the country.

The strange part is that I knew some of the folks in the New Democratic Party, what everyone down here would call soci@lists and we got along quite well.

But then as a high school dropout I guess I can't be an intelligent conservative.

Last edited by merrylander; 10-25-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Similarly, the gov't couldn't have built all those roads and bridges without levying fuel taxes and business taxes. But the Prez has you here to help "clarify" his comments, and I'm sure he appreciates your diligence.

Now, can you clarify Mrs Clinton's assertion that businesses don't create jobs?
As they say,bro. If you don't get it right the first time? Try, try again Mike.

Then there's the Einstein corollary involved here.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Ready

Quote:
This is worth reading IMO.

http://open.salon.com/blog/terry_mck..._are_there_any
Interesting, and also with a comments section that one could stand to read! Thanx for link.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
The only way a corporation will create a job is if there is a demand for its product(s). So it is actually the consumer who creates the jobs. Unfortunately American monetary behavior has beggared the consumer
Yep. But with offshore tools becoming better than our USA very best at a fraction of the price it's getting harder for folks to spend all that extra cash for the USA name.

For example, the ratchet in the video is probably under 40.00 and is offshore. Where a Snap-On would run 150 or so. Both have a lifetime warranty. Check out how much it took to break this offshore ratchet from Harbor Freight using a vice and cheater pipe. I've broken USA tools without using a cheater pipe. We aren't going to be the best much longer if we keep fading like this. China and Taiwan can and are making 'some' of their tools good as or better than ours now but at a fraction of the cost. Many auto techs are leaving the USA tool bandwagon. Sad but true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfCDCtm2Uf0

That being said, my own toolbox is full of USA tools, but today I could fill it with same quality offshore for under 7k. I have nearly half as much in my USA tools as I do my house. A-lot less people are willing to do that in todays world.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Excellent article Beam On.

In today's environment wouldn't it be political suicide for an intelligent conservative to speak out?
Or a conservative liberal. Here is a quote from the comments section in the Salon article. Condenses the prevailing political atmosphere.

"It's a shame that the conservatives and liberals both have polarized their points of view to the point where everything liberal is anathema to conservatives and always wrong, while everything conservative is seen by liberals as pro big business and anti people." by R.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Yep. But with offshore tools becoming better than our USA very best at a fraction of the price it's getting harder for folks to spend all that extra cash for the USA name.

For example, the ratchet in the video is probably under 40.00 and is offshore. Where a Snap-On would run 150 or so. Both have a lifetime warranty. Check out how much it took to break this offshore ratchet from Harbor Freight using a vice and cheater pipe. I've broken USA tools without using a cheater pipe. We aren't going to be the best much longer if we keep fading like this. China and Taiwan can and are making 'some' of their tools good as or better than ours now but at a fraction of the cost. Many auto techs are leaving the USA tool bandwagon. Sad but true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfCDCtm2Uf0

That being said, my own toolbox is full of USA tools, but today I could fill it with same quality offshore for under 7k. I have nearly half as much in my USA tools as I do my house. A-lot less people are willing to do that in todays world.

Mine are USA, Canada or UK and mostly inherited from my Dad so that might give uou an idea when the were made. I have found Ryobi and Makita portable tools to be pretty good but the last two 18v Ryobi batteries were made in China and don't hold a charge worth chit.