Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Area Man

At the gym tonight.....................

......I'm on the elliptical when I look up and see alien head Carville talking to Gasbag O'Reilly on the overhead t.v., so I switch to that channel. And what do I hear?

Gasbag; "....the problem is demand. The minimum wage needs to go up. $10 isn't going to kill anyone. The Republicans need to make sure this gets done and if the president tries to veto it, the Democrats are done come 2016." (Paraphrased)

What in the hell is he talking about? And, he isn't the only one you know. Recently some red states went ahead and raised it. Haven't the Dems been trying to get minimum wage legislation for a while now? Didn't the president talk about it in the last SOTU address? Hasn't the GOP bitched for years that the minimum wage is bad for business?

I smell another Republican trick. The minimum wage has been EVIL to them......until it's their turn at bat. Now they want to be seen as the guys who gave poor folks a raise........... All of the sudden they are FOR higher wages and demand side economics after decades of complaining that that very model......doesn't work?

Next thing I know every pea brained wingnut Zombie I see will be telling me all about how the GOP has been fighting for the working poor and the "damned unions" won't let them give any one a raise.....

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-07-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:29 AM
Area Man

I'm guessing they are setting the stage for some sort of deal. I'm thinking it will somehow involve "entitlements" like SS and/or Medicare, Obamacare, perhaps?
Old 11-07-2014, 04:22 AM
Koch-Teapublican

Bill has been on the side of raising the minimum wage since the debate begun.

No conspiracy here Dave
Old 11-07-2014, 06:20 AM
Area Man

It's not just him, Romney and others have expressed the same thing. Watch closely and follow it all the way out. The minimum wage is going up and when it's done Republicans will be telling poor folks that they were the ones who fought for it. They are trying to build the image of being the "Party of the Working Man", when in reality, they are anything but. They would just be using it to buy votes in 2016.

Oppose things when Democrats propose them, then turn around and claim credit when it happens. If it goes bad, the GOP had nothing to do with it. Just like they did with the Housing Crisis, driven in large part by GWBs "Ownership Society" and the architecture of Obamacare, which we all know was modelled after Romneycare.

It's ingenious really, the way they pull it off.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-07-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:36 AM
Banned

It's threads like this that keep Starbucks in business.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:25 AM
Koch-Teapublican

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
It's not just him, Romney and others have expressed the same thing. Watch closely and follow it all the way out. The minimum wage is going up and when it's done Republicans will be telling poor folks that they were the ones who fought for it. They are trying to build the image of being the "Party of the Working Man", when in reality, they are anything but. They would just be using it to buy votes in 2016.

Oppose things when Democrats propose them, then turn around and claim credit when it happens. If it goes bad, the GOP had nothing to do with it. Just like they did with the Housing Crisis, driven in large part by GWBs "Ownership Society" and the architecture of Obamacare, which we all know was modelled after Romneycare.

It's ingenious really, the way they pull it off.

Dave
I hear yeah. It's kinda like pointing at Bush's "Ownership Society" and completely ignoring Clinton's "The National Homeownership Strategy: Partners in the American Dream"

http://confoundedinterest.files.word.../nhsdream2.pdf
Old 11-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Area Man

That's exactly what I'm talking about, you nipplehead. Thanks for the validation.

LOL!

Dave
Old 11-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
It's threads like this that keep Starbucks in business.
So, I take it you're a Starbucks man?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/n...vor-up-lattes/

Wipe your chin and enjoy what you just ate.

Dave
Old 11-07-2014, 08:02 AM

Its not a Repub trick, but I think it is a Repub cave. Here in Michigan, the political battle went something like this:

- Left-leaning interest group threatens a ballot initiative to put a huge increase in minimum wage on the ballot.
- Repub controlled Legislature, in their desire to pull the rug out from under the ballot initiative and keeping minimum wage from becoming a campaign issue, enacts a multi-year increase in the minimum wage.

Thus the Repubs swipe an issue from the Dems in an election year, but undercut their own previously held (not to mention intellectually sound) position on the minimum wage issue.

Idiots.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Area Man

However, if the minimum wage increase should happen to be popular among working class voters..................

The GOP will be front and center to remind them who passed it, won't they?. (Despite the fact that they didn't really want to.)

Dave