Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Its not a Repub trick, but I think it is a Repub cave. Here in Michigan, the political battle went something like this:

- Left-leaning interest group threatens a ballot initiative to put a huge increase in minimum wage on the ballot.
- Repub controlled Legislature, in their desire to pull the rug out from under the ballot initiative and keeping minimum wage from becoming a campaign issue, enacts a multi-year increase in the minimum wage.

Thus the Repubs swipe an issue from the Dems in an election year, but undercut their own previously held (not to mention intellectually sound) position on the minimum wage issue.

Idiots.
That's a feckin' laugh. There's very little that's intellectually sound about GOP economic policy.

Last edited by finnbow; 11-07-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Area Man

"Issue Swipe". I like that term. Think I'll watch for future opportunities to use it. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:16 AM

They do not want the black guy to do it Dave.

Bismarck did the same thing in Prussia, but at least he gave out health care.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
That's a feckin' laugh. There's very little that's intellectually sound about GOP economic policy.
Does the Democratic party have an intellectually sound ecomomic policy?

Is there any such thing as an intellectually sound economic policy?

I'd prefer a sound economic policy built on pragmatism. Intellectuals typically make things worse when they are given too much free rein to implement their ideas in the real world. The thing about economics is no matter what path is taken there are always going to be winners and losers. It's all about rice bowls.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:28 AM

The intentional downgrade of the nation's credit rating in 2011 was intellectually sound GOP policy.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
......I'm on the elliptical when I look up and see alien head Carville talking to Gasbag O'Reilly on the overhead t.v., so I switch to that channel. And what do I hear?

Gasbag; "....the problem is demand. The minimum wage needs to go up. $10 isn't going to kill anyone. The Republicans need to make sure this gets done and if the president tries to veto it, the Democrats are done come 2016." (Paraphrased)

What in the hell is he talking about? And, he isn't the only one you know. Recently some red states went ahead and raised it. Haven't the Dems been trying to get minimum wage legislation for a while now? Didn't the president talk about it in the last SOTU address? Hasn't the GOP bitched for years that the minimum wage is bad for business?

I smell another Republican trick. The minimum wage has been EVIL to them......until it's their turn at bat. Now they want to be seen as the guys who gave poor folks a raise........... All of the sudden they are FOR higher wages and demand side economics after decades of complaining that that very model......doesn't work?

Next thing I know every pea brained wingnut Zombie I see will be telling me all about how the GOP has been fighting for the working poor and the "damned unions" won't let them give any one a raise.....

Dave
What I said. They will pass a minimum wage bill with a poison pill in it--cutting Medicaid for those who recently got it for being too poor for ACA insurance, or something like that.

And of course $10.00 is still a miserly minimum wage....
Old 11-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
What I said. They will pass a minimum wage bill with a poison pill in it--cutting Medicaid for those who recently got it for being too poor for ACA insurance, or something like that.

And of course $10.00 is still a miserly minimum wage....
Yep, you have a good understanding of GOP tactics and strategy.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:08 AM

Obama should preempt this by harping constantly on the need to raise the minimum wage. I would be hitting every media outlet and granting interviews. This will be a no lose option. But will he?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:17 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Obama should preempt this by harping constantly on the need to raise the minimum wage. I would be hitting every media outlet and granting interviews. This will be a no lose option. But will he?
If they really want to pre-empt Obama and do something real for the working class they need to pass HR 676 and send it to Obama for his signature:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ealth_Care_Act

If they would do that they could get my vote next election.

But they won't.

They'll do like Don said, pass a bill that throws the working class a few crumbs while fucking them in the ass with the fine print.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:48 AM

The GOP has to play ball, otherwise Obama and Reid will just return the treatment they have received at the hands of the Tea Party for the last 4 years. Veto and filibuster.