Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
If he's been right about anything, it is because serendipity is still alive and well.
What were you just saying about deflection in another thread Whellie?
Old 11-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
If he's been right about anything, it is because serendipity is still alive and well.
Is it also serendipity that conservative economic theory has proven wrong time after time in the last decade?
Old 11-07-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I agree with you 100% on that.

But I'm hoping that this midterm victory of theirs has gone so far to their heads that they nominate a Fire Breathing Right Winger From Hell like Cruz.

The problem though is Jeb, unlike his big bro, is smart and articulate and will eat a knuckle dagger like Cruz for breakfast in a debate.
Cruz will never debate I predict....he is like Rush Limbaugh in that he can only survive in a situation he controls completely. He may take part in one of those large round-robin debates but I do not think he has the courage to go one on one with anyone who has the ability to take the air out of his Big Lie with critical analysis. I would ask him point blank why he lied about Chuck Hegel's supposed ties to Iran during the latter's confirmation hearing. Cruz is just about lining his pockets until his constituents wake up and bounce him out.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:22 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
The minimum wage debate is all a crock of shit. A person needs to make a wage that is capable of allowing him to contribute to the economy for any economic system to flourish. What is the point of having a minimum wage if a person can't live on it. It also needs to be region specific. 10 bucks might be reasonable in some areas, but it doesn't do much in an area where 1000 dollars is considered cheap rent. A 10 dollar minimum wage certainly isn't going to have any influence on inflation. People need to have extra money to chase goods with to cause inflation. I don't know why the uber rich give a fuck anyway. Any price increases will be passed on to the middle class, so it won't really affect them.
Good post.

And, in the bolded; Boundless greed, Marc. They are only going to pay out what they think they have to. They know that the government setting a minimum does affect the expectations of more highly paid employees. If you have hundreds, thousands or even tens of thousand of employees the cost ramps up exponentially. It does affect profitability and that is where their wealth is derived from.

In the past, many medium and large scale employers figured that was something they could do little about, beyond the direct approach of hiring lobbyists to "pull strings" in DC. That has changed. In recent years, they have found ways to channel more resources towards influencing the electorate, thus influencing public policy indirectly. The rise of rightwing media, Superpacs, the Citizens United decision, etc., etc......all of this has provided a megaphone to use at their disposal. (Yes, I realize it does work both ways.)

Dave
Old 11-08-2014, 07:28 AM
reflexionar

Maybe we should have a maximum wage instead
Old 11-08-2014, 07:31 AM
Resident octogenarian

You all do realize that Citizens United is probably a small office somewhere in DC and a very large bank account. I strongly doubt that there are more than two dozen 'citizens'.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:36 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
You all do realize that Citizens United is probably a small office somewhere in DC and a very large bank account. I strongly doubt that there are more than two dozen 'citizens'.
The dollar replaced people some time ago.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:48 AM
reflexionar

I know a few people who make less than 10 bucks an hour and I am pretty sure none of them vote. I am wondering how much a minimum wage hike will actually help the GOP in the future if it doesn't spur the economy enough for middle class wage increases.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:23 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Maybe we should have a maximum wage instead
A good idea.

I'd settle for a 90% top income tax bracket like we had in the 40's and 50's, but with no loopholes.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I know a few people who make less than 10 bucks an hour and I am pretty sure none of them vote. I am wondering how much a minimum wage hike will actually help the GOP in the future if it doesn't spur the economy enough for middle class wage increases.
It will help the poor red states stay red while not significantly helping them financially. As to increasing voter participation, free cable TV to all citizens may do the trick. But then these people will go broke watching PPV shows.