Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-20-2023, 03:50 PM

Why Dianne Feinstein Will Not and Must Not Resign

Dianne Feinstein is well aware that if she were to resign that it would put an end to Dems ability to confirm federal judges as Repubs could and would block appointment of her replacement to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

https://time.com/6281088/dianne-fein...supreme-court/

Quoted from the Time article linked to above:

"Even if Feinstein were to leave her seat early, allowing California Gov. Gavin Newsom to appoint an interim lawmaker until after the 2024 election, there is nothing ensuring that that successor could be the 11th vote on Judiciary. Committee assignments are part of the start of every Congress, and changes are subject to 60 votes if some lawmakers object and demand a recorded vote."
Old 05-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Admin

I'm impressed with her stamina. Shingles is a terrible disease and it looks like she had it close to one eye.

Ro Khanna and his minions can kiss my ass. He will never be governor of California, much less a US senator. Thankfully, California has far too many moderates for Ro to advance past the HoR. His ageist crusade against DiFi has tainted him forever.
Old 05-20-2023, 04:45 PM

She should of resigned by now and stayed home.

It is already hard for the Democrats and this has been helping the Republicans. For the good of the country take one for the team...
Old 05-20-2023, 05:52 PM

But "taking one for the team" gives an advantage to the Repubs because they'd block a Dem replacement.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:36 PM

Would there not be a special election to fill the seat? Temporarily appointed by the Governor until election.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:55 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Would there not be a special election to fill the seat? Temporarily appointed by the Governor until election.
The seat is one thing. Membership on the Judiciary Committee, and a vote thereon, are another. Repugs can block the new person from the latter.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:46 PM
Admin

The president wouldn't get one more judge out of that committee if DiFi resigns. It takes 60 votes to confirm her replacement on the Judiciary committee and we all know how McConnell would act.

The misogyny and ageism squirting out of Ro and company won't be soon forgotten. I've got a couple rolls of blue masking tape they can shove where the sun don't shine.
Old 05-24-2023, 05:08 AM

Why Dianne Feinstein Will Not and Must Not Resign

I know there is good political reason for her to stay but the woman looks like she needs to be home enjoying her twilight years. I do not mean to sound like I am knocking her age, it is her physical condition.

Last edited by barbara; 05-24-2023 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:19 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
I know there is good political reason for her to stay but the woman looks like she needs to be home enjoying her twilight years. I do not mean to sound like I am knocking her age, it is her physical condition.
Politics, politics, politics....it consumes too much. It burns out people. The lady should have left the public scene a long time ago.

I empathize. My mom is 103. Lucky for me she is in reasonable health...just a little problem with her hearing.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:52 AM

While the hopes and wishes she returns to good health soon may well be fulfilled. The country has been on hold in key positions she was apart of. The waiting for this is commendable, and could work itself out with her returning.

I just see the stagnation happening now, will be the next two years no matter what happens. Might as well get a new guy in place and take what happens.