Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:30 AM

The Constitution

What would you change about the United States constitution?

I was browsing the forum, just now, and came along Big Bills introduction thread in which he talks about the Constitution as if its some sort of scripture written by geniuses, angels and gods.

But there must be some things everyone here would like to see put in to or taken out of the Constitution. Even Conservatives such as Michelle Bachmann and Mitt Romney would like to see a Constitutional amendment to define marriage as between a man and a woman exclusively.

Would anybody here like to see the Constitution abolished completely? Some argue that the Constitution, in many ways, helps to hold back the USA and makes it one of the least progressive countries in the Western world. Perhaps abolishing the separation of powers and some checks and balances would make the USA more progressive?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Karl View Post

I was browsing the forum, just now, and came along Big Bills introduction thread in which he talks about the Constitution as if its some sort of scripture written by geniuses, angels and gods.

But there must be some things everyone here would like to see put in to or taken out of the Constitution. Even Conservatives such as Michelle Bachmann and Mitt Romney would like to see a Constitutional amendment to define marriage as between a man and a woman exclusively.

Would anybody here like to see the Constitution abolished completely? Some argue that the Constitution, in many ways, helps to hold back the USA and makes it one of the least progressive countries in the Western world. Perhaps abolishing the separation of powers and some checks and balances would make the USA more progressive?
Yes, make changes. Restore it to original text and make damn sure people understand that it shall not be infringed. And any one of our lawmakers from that point on that decide to add this or change that shall be hung to death. You asked.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Yes, make changes. Restore it to original text and make damn sure people understand that it shall not be infringed. And any one of our lawmakers from that point on that decide to add this or change that shall be hung to death. You asked.
So you believe that no amendments should ever be allowed to be made? Why?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 PM

I guess some would like to get rid of some but keep the second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amendme...s_Constitution

Barney
Old 01-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Loyal Opposition

I would deny corporations the ability to pose as natural persons.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I would deny corporations the ability to pose as natural persons.

Regards,

D-Ray
+1

Will that need an Amendment passed first or a new ruling?

Barney
Old 01-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
+1

Will that need an Amendment passed first or a new ruling?

Barney
We need an amendment. Corporations have dominated equal protection, substantive due process; property law, and now the First Amendment.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Resident octogenarian

Lose Advise and Consent, with today's politicians it is a handicap. Lose the Electoral College also.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Lose Advise and Consent, with today's politicians it is a handicap. Lose the Electoral College also.
I think with the population the way it is in the U.S. of A the smaller states would be shut out it there was to be no Electoral College.

Advise and Consent would work it you eliminated the filibusterer 60 vote rule.

Barney
Old 01-26-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Karl View Post

Brother_Karl,

I believe that you exaggerate my position slightly. lol

And due to the Constitution being Amendable by due possess, in accordance with the rules in the Constitution, I believe that our founding fathers being man of outstanding foresight saw the possible need for change sometime in the future, and included the ability to amend it.

And was it not George Washington that received our Constitution after he claimed Mt. Rushmore ? But I don't remember him mentioning that god gave it to him.

Bill