Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:09 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
Did you stop learning when you left school?

It's not very becoming to think you know everything since you were afforded a good education. In fact I think you're very intelligent to understand people learn much more over there life than in a structured school of their youth.
Obtaining an education isn't all about facts and figures. It is also about discernment and critical thinking. In undertaking the rigors of higher education, one is required to gain skills that permit better understanding and evaluation of materials one encounters. It is learning to learn as much as it is gathering a body of knowledge.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-27-2014, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Obtaining an education isn't all about facts and figures. It is also about discernment and critical thinking. In undertaking the rigors of higher education, one is required to gain skills that permit better understanding and evaluation of materials one encounters. It is learning to learn as much as it is gathering a body of knowledge.

Regards,

D-Ray
I agree with that but it's not only attainable in a structured education.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:50 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I agree with that but it's not only attainable in a structured education.
You have aptly demonstrated, however, that it's more difficult to attain without education.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:15 AM
Area Man

Quote:

Regards,

D-Ray
In other words ones bullshit detector (or generator) is more finely honed. Although I have no sheepskins to display, I'd have to agree. Some of the finest bullshit comes from the highly educated. At times it leaves me humbled and more than a bit envious.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 02-27-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:24 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm View Post
Yawn. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Why do progressives hate education?
Quote:
Did you stop learning when you left school?

It's not very becoming to think you know everything since you were afforded a good education. In fact I think you're very intelligent to understand people learn much more over there life than in a structured school of their youth.
I thought "progressives" were the elitist Ivy League Snobs and now they hate education? I must have been on vacation when the memo went out.

Dave
Old 02-27-2014, 09:24 AM
Resident octogenarian

I found back in 1963 when I was first introduced to computers that I have a very logical thinking process and that made me a damn good programmer. I thoroughly enjoyed making them do my bidding and rapidly realized that they are simply high speed electronic idiots. They will do precisely what you tell them to do, no more, no less. One of the games we used to play with people impressed with computers was to tell them that they were computers and could only do exacttly what we told them to do. Then we would ask one of the non-programmers to tell the 'computer' to take off his shirt.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Vetoed by Brewer, as it should be. This kind of legislation was a waste of taxpayers money and a misstep by the ultra conservative and frankly juvenile wing of the Republican party. The traditional wing of the GOP seems to have had an epiphany albeit at the urging of the Chamberpot of Commerce .
When it comes down to it, the GOP will choose to worship at the Church of the Almighty Dollar.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-27-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
When it comes down to it, the GOP will choose to worship at the Church of the Almighty Dollar.

Regards,

D-Ray
Between the dollar whores on the right and the power (hegemony)whores on the left Im not seeing a rosy outlook for this nation.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Admin

Quote:

Regards,

D-Ray

“I believe that any state, they should look very closely at Arizona,” Glenn Hamer, president and chief executive of the Arizona Chamber of Commerce, said on Thursday. “My guess is that after what has happened here, I’d be very surprised if this type of bill could pass in any state in the country.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...-bill/?hpid=z3

Looks like the high priest has spoken.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm View Post
Between the dollar whores on the right and the power (hegemony)whores on the left Im not seeing a rosy outlook for this nation.
You may be half right.