Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:49 AM

As DonQ correctly points out, the topic is dishonest, a hit piece by some unknown idiot, not from the indicated source. So, Whell’s dishonesty is absolutely the topic here. Every thread he starts here follows the same pattern.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:41 AM
Ready

OK, I'm going to back off a little. In light of day, the op text, apart form the quotes, seems like it may be whell's own commentary on the article, not some deceptively-uanttributed source. Still don't agree with any of his conclusions though.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:48 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I can always count on Chicks to deflect and make me the topic.
He's got you under his skin.

Last edited by nailer; 10-26-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:51 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Good luck with that.
An off topic reply?

Last edited by nailer; 10-26-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:57 AM
Rational Anarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
OK, I'm going to back off a little. In light of day, the op text, apart form the quotes, seems like it may be whell's own commentary on the article, not some deceptively-uanttributed source. Still don't agree with any of his conclusions though.
That's putting it mildly.

Last edited by nailer; 10-26-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
As DonQ correctly points out, the topic is dishonest, a hit piece by some unknown idiot, not from the indicated source. So, Whell’s dishonesty is absolutely the topic here. Every thread he starts here follows the same pattern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Could you guys please work this out and get back to me?
Old 10-26-2020, 03:12 PM

I make a point to NEVER click on a link posted by a wingnut, as the articles are almost always hateful Reich-wing bullshit, but have made an exception here. The source article on FP is over a year old. VERY odd for Whell to be posting it now, but apparently he's been posting anti-Krugman hate here for years. Pretty sure he posted this article before, but the search here being what it is, I won't be checking.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:28 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Even if Whell's post were entirely honest and forthright, a professional admitting to having made an error is what professionals do. I guess he prefers economists who still insist that Trump's tax cuts will pay for themselves and not increase the deficit (e.g., Stephen Moore).
Old 10-26-2020, 07:32 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post

I agree, as I've never thought that tariffs were a long term solutions to any problem. The threat of tariffs can be effective if there's economic force behind it. The threat of a tariff on steel can be effective if we have a thriving domestic steel industry, but we don't.

All this is to say that at least we've been able to restart the discussion on the state of the middle class and the erosion of our manufacturing base. Let's hope that in the next four years we apply appropriate economic policy and start to rebuild a manufacturing base that supports a thriving middle class.

Now, if Krugman going to give back his Nobel Prize?
The thrust of Trump's admin is to slow down the Chinese. I do not believe this admin really think that manufacture would be returning in any serious way.
The previous admins (both Dem and Republic) went to sleep re China. "Made in China 2025" really startled the western democracies. Trump has succeeded to a fair extent in pushing China out of strategic areas and reduce the ease of technological transfer. China might have to change its date.

BTW Xi really helped Trump's slow down project. Xi and his many border issues...wtf.

Last edited by Dondilion; 10-26-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:18 AM

As Trump warns of economic disaster, Wall Street grows giddy about Biden
Many investors are betting on a Democratic sweep

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...ue-wave-432710

Quote:
Trump loves to say that if Joe Biden wins the White House, stocks will crash, retirement accounts will vanish and an economic depression “the likes of which you’ve never seen” will engulf the nation.

But much of Wall Street is already betting on a Biden win — with a much different take on what the results will mean.

Traders in recent weeks have been piling into bets that a “blue wave” election, in which Democrats also seize the Senate, will produce an economy-juicing blast of fresh fiscal stimulus of $3 trillion or more that carries the U.S. past the coronavirus crisis and into a more normal environment for markets.

Far from panicking at the prospect of a Biden win, Wall Street CEOs, traders and investment managers now mostly say they would be fine with a change in the White House that reduces the Trump noise, lowers the threat of further trade wars and ensures a continuation of the government spending they’ve seen in recent years.
No sign of panic on Wall Street. They'll be happy to be rid of Donny and his idiotic economic "advisors".