We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:49 PM
Admin

Deep In The Heart of Texas

'Beto O’Rourke gets $2 million..."
https://www.rawstory.com/beto-orourk...austin-couple/

July 16, 2022

An Austin couple gave $2 million to Beto O’Rourke, making up his largest donations yet in his campaign against cash-flush Gov. Greg Abbott.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Coxe's donations are part of a historic $27.6 million haul that O'Rourke announced Friday morning. The figure covers late February through June, and it bested Abbott's fundraising for the same period, which totaled $24.9 million, according to his campaign." Texas Tribune

In the year that Moscow Mitch's pet Scotus destroyed a woman's right to choose where and when or even if she wishes to procreate, I'd say anything is probable. Texas has been inching blue for a long time and this usurpation of half the country's right to decide their most personal and private family decision isn't going to help the GQP at the polls.

Go get 'em, Beto!
Old 07-17-2022, 07:44 AM

Hopefully there are enough Texans to resist Abbott's lurch to the Reich.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:22 AM

O'Rourke is a disgusting human. I suspected as much before the Uvalde shooting. Planning and executing a political stunt at a press conference about the shooting right after it occurred was absolutely abhorrent.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:05 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
O'Rourke is a disgusting human. I suspected as much before the Uvalde shooting. Planning and executing a political stunt at a press conference about the shooting right after it occurred was absolutely abhorrent.
Oh crap. As if Abbot's conference was some sort of sweet and sacred occasion. Abbott and his Republican damage-control effort deserved exactly what they got.

What O'Rourke actually had to say. Give me some quotes from any Republican there, for comparison.
Quote:
“We’ve got to stand up to this or we just accept this theater and business as usual and we accept the next shooting. We could’ve stopped this if we had stood up after Santa Fe High School, if we had stood up after El Paso. We are going to stop the next one. We are standing up right here in Uvalde, Texas right now. That’s why I’m here. That’s what the people of Texas want right now. That’s what we’re going to focus on.”

“This one is on all of us. It’s on every single one of us to do something. I’m here to stand up for the people of Texas.”

“We are 50th in the nation in mental health care access, 50th. There are only 50 states in the nation. We are dead last. The number one provider of mental health care services under Gregg Abbott in the state of Texas is the county jail system. The largest inpatient mental health care facility in the state of Texas is the Harris County jail in downtown Houston, Texas”

“He’s [Abbott] refused to expand Medicaid, which would bring $10 billion dollars a year, including mental healthcare access for people who need it. He’s refused to champion red flag laws. When somebody says that they are having trouble, that they may kill somebody, that they may kill themselves, a red flag law would protect the public. He’s refused to support safe storage laws so young people cannot get their hands on their parents’ guns. He’s refused to support a band on AR-15s and AK-47s. This 18-year-old who just turned 18 bought an AR-15 and took it into an elementary school and shot kids in the face and killed them.”

“Why are we letting this happen in this country?!”

“Why is this happening in this state year after year, city after city?”

“We owe those parents our prayers and I’m praying for them and I’ve called them and I’ve talked to them today. We owe them are help and assistance. We’ll do everything we can to raise resources for them to make sure that we pay for funerals or any needs that they may have but we owe those parents action”

“I’ve talked to the parents in El Paso, I’ve talked to the parents in Santa Fe High School, I’ve talked to the parents in Midland, Odessa. They want us to do something right now.”

“I want us to do something right now. We can do something right now. But if we continue to accept this then this is on us, it’s not just the governor’s fault. It is on us. I’m not going to accept I so I’m here. I’m calling attention to this and I’m asking all Texans of good conscience, and I could care less if you’re a republican, a democrat, or an independent to stand up right now for yourself, for your kids, for your families and to stop the next shooting just like this one.” Click2Houston.com
Old 07-17-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I'm a disgusting human.
Fixed it.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:39 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Now, it has come to light that Abbott and the Uvalde cops were lying through their teeth and Beto was 100% correct. No wonder you're pissed - the same reason you're pissed about the conservative lies that were revealed surrounding the case of the 10 year old girl in Ohio. Both cases clearly reveal the callousness and horrific consequences of GOP's reactionary policies and the lies they tell to conceal them.

Last edited by finnbow; 07-17-2022 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Now, it has come to light that Abbott and the Uvalde cops were lying through their teeth and Beto was 100% correct. No wonder you're pissed - the same reason you're pissed about the conservative lies that were revealed surrounding the case of the 10 year old girl in Ohio. Both cases clearly reveal the callousness and horrific consequences of GOP policies and the lies they tell to conceal them.
What was Beto correct about? What did Abbott lie about?

What were the "conservative lies"? That they dared to question the story? Even your pal Kessler at WaPo thought there were issues with it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...on-goes-viral/
Old 07-17-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Fixed it.
Oh my. Another insult. No worries, Chickie. I realize that its the best you can do.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:58 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
What was Beto correct about? What did Abbott lie about?

What were the "conservative lies"? That they dared to question the story? Even your pal Kessler at WaPo thought there were issues with it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...on-goes-viral/
https://www.texastribune.org/2022/05...alde-shooting/
Old 07-17-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Oh crap. As if Abbot's conference was some sort of sweet and sacred occasion. Abbott and his Republican damage-control effort deserved exactly what they got.

What O'Rourke actually had to say. Give me some quotes from any Republican there, for comparison.
What he said and what he did are two entirely different things.

Was it a "sweet and sacred occasion"? No. Was it the right place and time - not even a day after the kids were murdered - to politicize the shooting? No, not at all. At the very least, it showed spectacularly bad judgement. Why someone thinks that behavior is justified or should be rewarded is beyond me.