Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-20-2022, 06:22 PM
Admin

Maryland, Oh Maryland.

Conservative explains why Maryland Republicans have committed 'mass suicide'

"Maryland’s Larry Hogan is a conservative non-MAGA Republican governor in a blue state who has received a lot of Democratic votes — especially in the 2018 midterms, when he ran for reelection and defeated Democratic nominee Ben Jealous by 12 percent. 2018 was generally a good year for Democrats, who enjoyed a major blue wave in the U.S. House of Representatives that year. Yet Republican Hogan enjoyed a double-digit reelection victory in a blue state.

Because Maryland has gubernatorial term limits, Hogan cannot seek a third term — and in Maryland’s 2022 Republican gubernatorial primary, he endorsed former Maryland Commerce Secretary Kelly M. Schulz. But former President Donald Trump endorsed Schulz’s far-right, ultra-MAGA primary opponent Dan Cox, who defeated Schulz when the primary election was held on Tuesday, July 19.

Never Trump conservative Jim Swift, in an article published by The Bulwark on July 20, argues that Maryland Republicans have screwed up badly by nominating an extremist “kook” over the more moderate, Hogan-endorsed Schulz." Alternet

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...7fcddba54b9cb2

Looks like Maryland's going to have a Democratic governor up in Annapolis next term.
Old 07-21-2022, 07:19 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I thought a Hogan endorsement would have helped Schulz, but the wingnut base wants what it wants. Politics isn't about policy, it's about entertainment. That said, Cox has no chance in the Old Line State. When asked if Hogan would support the Republican nominee, his spokesperson responded “The governor will not support the QAnon candidate.”

Last edited by finnbow; 07-21-2022 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:44 AM

I'm deriving much entertainment from watching the MAGA crowd experiencing their nocturnal emission of a MAGA governor in MD. The GOP had some minor heart fluttering when Hogan was elected in vain hopes that some distant red tide was approaching my home state. In my lifetime there have been exactly three Repubs elected governor here. Two since I've reached voting age and both of them would be called RINO's by the MAGA crowd. The only time a Repub has gotten elected here is when the Democratic candidate was especially lousy. My only questions are how badly Cox will lose in the general and will he like tRump claim fraud and refuse to concede.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:33 PM

A Cox supporter, no doubt: https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/l...a-657ea38d21b3
Old 07-21-2022, 03:24 PM

How easy can a voter crossover to vote in the primary?

Here we can vote any party in the primary. Just pick the ballot you want. Does not matter what you are registered as. Is Maryland a closed or open primary?

Just asking due to the possibility of crossovers voting for the most Repulsive Party guy to get a easier to defeat in the general candidate.
Old 07-21-2022, 04:03 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Maryland, Oh Maryland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
How easy can a voter crossover to vote in the primary?

Here we can vote any party in the primary. Just pick the ballot you want. Does not matter what you are registered as. Is Maryland a closed or open primary?

Just asking due to the possibility of crossovers voting for the most Repulsive Party guy to get a easier to defeat in the general candidate.

Maryland is a closed primary state. I bailed from the GOP in ~2003 and have been an independent ever since, thus have not voted in a primary in decades.
Old 07-21-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Maryland is a closed primary state. I bailed from the GOP in ~2003 and have been an independent ever since, thus have not voted in a primary in decades.
That sucks...
Old 07-21-2022, 05:21 PM

If you're a Dem in MD and you're intent on stirring things up you can switch your party registration to "the dark side" and vote for whom you wish in the primary but still vote for the Dem candidate in the general election. Some are claiming this is what gave Cox the primary win. It sucks that an Independent can not vote in the primary but then you don't get inundated with campaign flyers leading up to the election.

Last edited by RickeyM; 07-21-2022 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:34 PM

Like I stated here you are asked which ballot, Dem or Rep when you sign in or to mail out.
Old 07-21-2022, 11:41 PM

Wish we could vote Online but doubt if it would happen anytime soon.
Did search the topic and Estonia is the only country allowing remote electronic voting.

https://medium.com/edge-elections/wh...ng-3f7300ce2f0