Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:24 PM

Someday the powers that be will realize National Security and a strong manufacturing along with productive agriculture sector is the best policy for the USA.

The financial and service industries just won't do it in times of need.
Unless you can pay off the bad guys, if not get ready to service them.

Barney
Old 09-07-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I found some interesting info. I can only view it in html.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Interesting numbers. Labor cost of ~$76.00/hr. versus ~$44.00/hr for the Japanese company. The difference seems to be in the benefits. The Japanese scale seems more reasonable for the health of the company. What is more startling is the numbers on pensions and the ensuing drain on the companies. I assume the companies pay this out of their current operating revenue rather than having set that money aside at the time it was earned. How much formal training is necessary for an assembler?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Someday the powers that be will realize National Security and a strong manufacturing along with productive agriculture sector is the best policy for the USA.

The financial and service industries just won't do it in times of need.
Unless you can pay off the bad guys, if not get ready to service them.

Barney
I think it was sad that we lost the high technology fab plants. These ought to have remained here; however, given the environmentalists here I see why they left. I argue that it is the assinine administrative regulations more than labor cost that caused industry to flee.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
I think it was sad that we lost the high technology fab plants. These ought to have remained here; however, given the environmentalists here I see why they left. I argue that it is the assinine administrative regulations more than labor cost that caused industry to flee.
Somehow, I fail to see it as a disaster when a company, which is intent on running its business in a dangerous or unhealthy way, takes its ways elsewhere.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
Interesting numbers. Labor cost of ~$76.00/hr. versus ~$44.00/hr for the Japanese company. The difference seems to be in the benefits. The Japanese scale seems more reasonable for the health of the company. What is more startling is the numbers on pensions and the ensuing drain on the companies. I assume the companies pay this out of their current operating revenue rather than having set that money aside at the time it was earned. How much formal training is necessary for an assembler?
A few years back the big '3' gave the unions a large chunk of money and washed their hands of the pensions. The unions run the pensions now. And the unions themselves protected their current members and hugely cut the pay and bennies of the new hires. So I think we'll see improvement across the board at Ford and GM, though Fords been doing well anyway.

Training depends on what you're doing. Installing rims/tires as mentioned, last I saw there was a 5 socket dedicated air gun with auto feed lug nuts hanging from overhead and a rack that feeds the tires to the line (yes it's impressive! And that was a while back). I can't remember how they move the tires from rack to hub (I guarentee they don't do it by hand, particularly with today's bigger tires) but the job consisted of lining up the gun and operating it via trigger. I suspect anyone with any nominal mechanical aptitude could learn it quickly.

Another one, something my uncle said was a b*tch on his particular model. Installing the windshield washer fluid resevoir. His was, fit it in there, hook up the hose and wire (to the already installed pump), and 3 screws. It was difficult to get to the 3rd screw apparently. But he would've said you didn't have to be technically astute.

Not to say they don't work hard. And there are plenty of skilled jobs on a modern assembly line and/or production line, with so much automation and machines to keep running.

Pete