Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Another incisive analysis. How can we be so fortunate to observe such genius?

Regards,

D-ray
That is because you don't use the ignore feature.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
That is because you don't use the ignore feature.
Every once in a while, it's fun to shoot fish in a barrel. Get nostalgic for seventh grade sometimes too.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-06-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Yep, robots don't hafta be paid, don't want time off, don't backtalk you, won't sue you if you pat one of 'em on the ass, don't get sick-as long as proper maintenance is done, etc, etc, etc....
I see you have never worked around robots. They do indeed take time off, Get sick and back talk. Hell sometimes they even throw stuff.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
You guys.......................

This particular plant is a TUBE MILL. Mostly Drill Tube for the oil and gas industries to be exact. And, yes, you are right, this place is supposed to eventually employ about 600 people. A tube mill of this size thirty years ago would have easily employed 1,000 to 1,100. This is a thoroughly modernized mill, that's why the initial cost is so high.

600 is better than zero. It's good news, people going back to work, jobs being created.

Why can't you just accept that?

Regards,
Dave
Oh, that IS great...And I dunno if the "5X" multiplier they used to use is still applicable, but those 600 jobs undoubtedly WILL spawn several others...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Oh, that IS great...And I dunno if the "5X" multiplier they used to use is still applicable, but those 600 jobs undoubtedly WILL spawn several others...
Yeah, I wonder what pay-at-the-pump, ATMs, internet shopping etc. do to the multiplier. I expect most any retailer has to have an internet presence to survive.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Interesting, the steel companies didn't even have this kinda pathetic comeback till the union got broke...

Pete
Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr15 View Post
I see you have never worked around robots. They do indeed take time off, Get sick and back talk. Hell sometimes they even throw stuff.
Hell Yes!!!! Truer words have never been spoken!! I've seen a "sick" robot keep a production line down for days. A human gets sick, you just get another one to step in. True dat! The main advantage to using robotics is "repeatablility", the abillity to perform the same task over and over again with nearly no variance in quality.

Dave
Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickr15 View Post
Well, you DO have a point there...We used to have 2 or 3 guys who basically did nothing but ministered to the electronic stuff in our plant...The early robots & PLC devices of the Eighties were Big Fun to keep running... And TRY to find that little whickerbill 5 years down the road, which was 3 generations ago...Likely as not, the mfger has moved on in another direction entirely, & said Whickerbill ain't made anymore, & HASN'T been made since about 6 months after yr snazzy, sooper-dooper gizmotron was made..A lot of the stuff we had, I always thought, was operating at the very limit of what was technically possible at the time, no room at all for error or "Wollerance"...Add ham-handed operators, heat, vibration, little/no PM, inadequate documentation, arrogant suppliers, and a scared Purchasing Agent-me-who only had a vague idea usually of what he was looking for, & you had sometimes a "Perfect Storm"...A lot of our stuff came from Yoorup, too, Switzerland specifically, und zey sink zat zere maschinienry DOES NOT break down...Schtoopit Americanier schwine-You dunno how to verk it properly !!! And trying to get a Yoorupean into a "Crisis-Get 'er Done Yesterday" mode is almost impossible...I miss it, in one way, but mostly I'm glad I'm out of it now...
Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Interesting, the steel companies didn't even have this kinda pathetic comeback till the union got broke...

Pete
Somedays I get the feeling you won't be happy until we are all making $50 per month.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Hell Yes!!!! Truer words have never been spoken!! I've seen a "sick" robot keep a production line down for days. A human gets sick, you just get another one to step in. True dat! The main advantage to using robotics is "repeatablility", the abillity to perform the same task over and over again with nearly no variance in quality.

Dave
And you reeally would be amazed at how far they can throw an engine when they get upset.