Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-12-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
AFAIK, there aren't any prominent Democrats who oppose private ownership of firearms by responsible adults in the home. In other words, your contrived controversy isn't actually a controversy, but more stupid infotainment from wingnut media that you credulously glom on to.
Did I say that there were Democrats that want to repeal the 2nd amendment? No.

Does that mean that you're correct and they don't exist? Hell no.

But since you brought it up:

There are any number of folks on the left who have voiced support for repealing the 2nd Amendment. These are the Dems and leftists who write speeches, drive media and help to form a consensus on the left. They also influence legislation.

It used to be that these folks didn't go public about their agenda, they simply pushed for more gun control legislation (the effect of continuing to go back to the legislative well on the federal and state level is playing the long game of watering down 2nd amendment rights until their unenforceable or unrecognizable). Now. they just come right out and tell you that they advocate repeal of the 2nd amendment.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1666...amendment-guns

Here's another one:

https://deadline.com/2022/05/michael...nt-1235033193/

Here's another one:

https://www.thenation.com/article/ar...t-gun-control/

Here's another one (older article but Turley hasn't changed his position on this):

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...nts/463644002/

The article mentions former SCOTUS judge Stevens voiced support for repealing it. Not a Dem, but not exactly a died-in-the-wool conservative either.

Here's another one - a notable Dem who's run for office a couple of times, including a run for US Senate:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/08...ass-shootings/

Democrats ran in 2020 for a "national gun licensing program" where (for example) a person seeking to purchase a gun would have to submit their fingerprints, and basic background information and complete a certified gun safety course. The FBI would then run a comprehensive background check before issuing a federal gun license that would be renewable every five years.

Nationalizing something makes it easier to politicize. Make the process harder, create a regulatory agency that changes the rules based on fiat or whim, stop issuing certifications to gun safety course providers, etc.

So, you're underinformed comment about this being a contrived controversy is, well, underinformed. But I'm confident you'll continue to disagree.
Old 09-12-2022, 01:53 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post

But since you brought it up:

There are any number of folks on the left who have voiced support for repealing the 2nd Amendment. These are the Dems and leftists who write speeches, drive media and help to form a consensus on the left. They also influence legislation.

It used to be that these folks didn't go public about their agenda, they simply pushed for more gun control legislation (the effect of continuing to go back to the legislative well on the federal and state level is playing the long game of watering down 2nd amendment rights until their unenforceable or unrecognizable). Now. they just come right out and tell you that they advocate repeal of the 2nd amendment.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1666...amendment-guns

Here's another one:

https://deadline.com/2022/05/michael...nt-1235033193/

Here's another one:

https://www.thenation.com/article/ar...t-gun-control/

Here's another one (older article but Turley hasn't changed his position on this):

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...nts/463644002/

The article mentions former SCOTUS judge Stevens voiced support for repealing it. Not a Dem, but not exactly a died-in-the-wool conservative either.

Here's another one - a notable Dem who's run for office a couple of times, including a run for US Senate:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/08...ass-shootings/

Democrats ran in 2020 for a "national gun licensing program" where (for example) a person seeking to purchase a gun would have to submit their fingerprints, and basic background information and complete a certified gun safety course. The FBI would then run a comprehensive background check before issuing a federal gun license that would be renewable every five years.

Nationalizing something makes it easier to politicize. Make the process harder, create a regulatory agency that changes the rules based on fiat or whim, stop issuing certifications to gun safety course providers, etc.

So, you're underinformed comment about this being a contrived controversy is, well, underinformed. But I'm confident you'll continue to disagree.
You sure can gallop with the best of those Gish Gallopers, ol' pardner.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post

That said, having been a communist, communist sympathizer or just an anti-Cuban-embargo activist 50 years ago (as someone in their early 20's in the mid '70's) is far more benign than being a fascist or even a MAGAMoron today.

BS. Communism is one of the most, if not the most, destructive forms of government in the modern world. Nothing compares. Not even close. What a stupid comment you made.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:03 PM
Admin

Quote:
BS. Communism is one of the most, if not the most, destructive forms of government in the modern world. Nothing compares. Not even close. What a stupid comment you made.
You'd prefer fascism?

Speaking of stupid comments, Ms. Gish.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:04 PM

I wonder whether your employer approves of all the working hours you waste posting here, Whell?

Last edited by luvvinvinyl; 10-09-2022 at 11:54 AM. Reason: outing personal information
Old 09-12-2022, 02:04 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

But since you brought it up...
Thanks for helping to prove my point. Not one of those articles is from a prominent, currently-serving Democratic politician (or any Democratic politician of any stripe). Insignificant pundits spewing shit on op-ed pieces is a completely different animal than politicians sponsoring legislation. Even a MAGAMoron should be able to recognize the difference.

Indeed, Karen Bass's positions on gun control are mainstream and supported by a majority of Americans and are within the scope of the 2nd Amendment. Specifically, she wants to ban large high capacity magazines, repeal "stand your ground" laws and improve background checks.

In summary, your OP is some faux outrage wingnut bullshit that you chose to parrot here as if it's something profound, interesting or relevant. It's not. If I were you, I would be resentful and embarrassed about being so easily manipulated by whatever garbage news sources you frequent.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:12 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Translation: Whell likes fascism.

Seriously though, communism is not the greatest threat to our republic today. Indeed, it is only practiced in 4 countries in the entire world (China, Cuba, Laos, and Vietnam) and it is not endorsed, practiced, praised or emulated by either of the major American political parties. Fascism, however, is at the intellectual core of Trumpism and the modern-day American conservative movement and is a profound threat to our republic.

Moreover, my larger point was that Karen Bass exhibiting communist sympathies 50 years ago as an idealistic California college kid is meaningless compared to the GOP's overt embrace of fascism today. Hell, neoconservatism, which was the basis of Republican foreign policy for several decades, was founded by former Marxists and communists (Kristol, Podhoretz, Decter, and Glazer).

Your knowledge of history and political science is truly laughable. The more profound you try to be, the more ignorant you sound.

Last edited by finnbow; 09-12-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 03:57 PM

NRA slams push to track guns purchased with credit cards

https://www.cbsnews.com/atlanta/news...purchases-iso/

Perfectly common-sense measure. No wonder the NRA opposes it.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:24 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
NRA slams push to track guns purchased with credit cards

https://www.cbsnews.com/atlanta/news...purchases-iso/

Perfectly common-sense measure. No wonder the NRA opposes it.
What's the NRA gonna do about it? Tell their members to stop using credit cards? That'll really help gun sales. Feckin' idjits.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
No, she was a commie. working to promote communism and communist ideals in Cuba.

And no, "whataboutism" would mean there's an anti-gun conservative somewhere who got his guns stolen, and I'm ignoring that instance to talk about this instance. And it's actually YOUR post that's the deflection for bringing - I'm assuming you're referring to - Trump, since my post had nothing to do with Trump. So....

Deflection alert! Nice try, and thanks for playing.
Thanks, I will play.

So can I call Trump a Radical Soshialist Liberal since he was a Democrat before he decided to run for #45?