Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:41 PM
Persona non grata

It's slowly losing it's influence.

http://www.alternet.org/belief/shock...y-going-change

Quote:
Americans are abandoning organized religion in droves. Data from the Public Religion Research Institute shows that while only 7 percent of Americans were raised outside a religious tradition, nearly 19 percent are religiously unaffiliated today. According to the General Social Survey, the number of Americans who say they have “no religion” has more than doubled since 1990.
This is even more true in the more civilized areas of the world such as western Europe. But don't look for it to die out completely. The Human race will always have a certain percentage of fruitcakes.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Oh yes, indeed there were and are hypocrites no doubt. Some far worse than others. But theres more good than bad Christians by far, IMO.
This may be controversial to some but I also believe that by far most Muslims are good folk who don't condone the violent acts of the few.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford12 View Post
What's up bobabode? Thanks. Been meaning to get over here for sometime. Much easier to have a civilized discussion about hot topics here. Face to face people tend to get out of hand. Typing helps slows things down and get your thoughts in line.
Same old, same old. Just listening to my old Maggotbox tube amps wearing this T shirt...
Old 01-24-2015, 06:31 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
If not for the Bible, and as many people fearing burning in hell as there are, how many people would go out and kill others rather than let the law handle it if they knew for a fact there was no God to answer to?
In the history of the world, I am guessing, none.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:24 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
What's up bobabode? Thanks. Been meaning to get over here for sometime. Much easier to have a civilized discussion about hot topics here. Face to face people tend to get out of hand. Typing helps slows things down and get your thoughts in line.
For some people. Not so much for some others.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:49 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
I don't think very many. Most people are basically good. Our instincts are to work together. It's kind of built in. I think you be surprised how many so called christians would resort to barbarism against other groups without a police force to hold them in check. There's always that bad egg ready to stir the pot. The thought of jail is a much bigger deterrent
I admire your faith in humanity, however having lived long I find that it is misplaced. Also you seem to be equating the current lot of churches with belief in some higher power. It has been our experience that the majority of churches are the last places to look.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:55 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
If not for the Bible, and as many people fearing burning in hell as there are, how many people would go out and kill others rather than let the law handle it if they knew for a fact there was no God to answer to? Hell, just look how bad some groups act from the middle east .. they act out much different than Christians. Would you want to take it all away, and everyone live in a free for all world where nobody feared any consequence for their actions?

Dave we don't have to fear Hell, it is right here now. Go into any supermarket and watch the young women mistreat older folk. Any possibility that people today possess any social graces is remote in the extreme. Drive your car a few miles and observe your fellow motorists, and you don't dare admonish them as they may be armed.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:02 AM
Resident octogenarian

So the Bible is bunk is it, let's see first book of John chapter 4 verse 8 - "He that knows not love knows not God, for God is love." Hmm, that does not sound so terrible. Then what Paul wrote to the people in Corinth - "And though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels but have not love I am as a sounding brass or tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not love, I am nothing."

Strikes me that someone who loves would make a better neighbor than one who hates or is indifferent,

YMMV
Old 01-24-2015, 08:14 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
I don't think very many. Most people are basically good. Our instincts are to work together. It's kind of built in.
I have no idea where you live but I sincerely doubt that it is here in the US of A.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I admire your faith in humanity, however having lived long I find that it is misplaced. Also you seem to be equating the current lot of churches with belief in some higher power. It has been our experience that the majority of churches are the last places to look.
I'm not a believer in organized religion but I am in the majority of peoples goodness. This doesn't keep me from carrying protection in areas I deem sketchy. I think you have me by a bit in age but I'm 60 and have seen enough to know that good people of any race/religion can show up in completely unexpected places. I seem to have become less of a cynic as I age, not bad for a natural born introvert. I also think you find what your looking for and the bad seems to be what your seeing. We're looking at things from 2 different perspectives. Bible verses are all well and good if that's what you believe. I have a different view of the world, for lack of a better word I think this may be heaven. If I were to go tomorrow I couldn't bitch. It's been a wonderful life.

Last edited by sanford12; 01-24-2015 at 08:36 AM.