Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:25 AM

Media and the Campaign Season

I'm going to do a little research when I have the time - I was thinking this AM how idiotic it is, still over a year away from the election, that the Presidential campaign blitz is already in full swing.

I'm going to have a look at:

The advertising revenue generated for the media.

Media coverage/start dates of the campaign going back maybe 30-40 years.

Why the DNC and RNC are allowing the media to choose debate venues and moderators.

How other developed nations do it.

It's not even November 2015 and I'm sick of all the candidates already.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:51 AM

The commercial media is a mixed curse. You get 'free stuff', as long as it keeps the lights on and the staff eating and sleeping indoors.
Elsewhere, broadcast media is a gov't agency attached to the post office, censorship is always a possibility, depending.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pio1980; 09-19-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswiththum View Post
I'm going to do a little research when I have the time - I was thinking this AM how idiotic it is, still over a year away from the election, that the Presidential campaign blitz is already in full swing.

I'm going to have a look at:

The advertising revenue generated for the media.

Media coverage/start dates of the campaign going back maybe 30-40 years.

Why the DNC and RNC are allowing the media to choose debate venues and moderators.

How other developed nations do it.

It's not even November 2015 and I'm sick of all the candidates already.
On the bolded text, this is capitalism working. The TV media wants to maximize their earnings while providing free publicity for the political parties. I simply refuse to watch any of these debates by either party. Self serving, pandering, deflecting and mostly boring.

I too am sick of the whole process, not a single candidate is worthy of becoming President except pie in the sky Bernie, but he is too extreme and what he is preaching can never be implemented. Another reason not to watch these debates.

Why do we call these debates anyway? More like a media orchestrated Q & A mostly geared for soundbites. Just about every candidate evades most of the questions and wind up giving speeches. Lying with a straight is more like it.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Persona non grata

Everything is fucked up and over the top.

I can remember when people would start campaigning in the summer of the year of the election. And people used to put up their Christmas tree about a week before Christmas. And my mother told me about the days when people put up their tree on Christmas eve. Now the Damn trees go on sale right after Holloween. Fuck, there's a house down the street from me that already had Holloween decorations out on their lawn last week! In the middle of fucking September! Can you believe that shit!
Old 09-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Ready

The sooner you go for such stuff, the sooner the sellers get their money. The longer the 'holiday season,' the more seasonal stuff you buy.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:41 AM

If they insist on starting election campaign coverage almost 2 years early, I would like a little more bang for the buck.

Stage a halloween debate in Salem, Mass. - let Johnny Depp and Tim Burton moderate.

Media could play it for all it's worth - "Trump:Trick or Treat?" "Graham, Clinton, Walker: I see dead people!" And so forth.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Everything is fucked up and over the top.

I can remember when people would start campaigning in the summer of the year of the election. And people used to put up their Christmas tree about a week before Christmas. And my mother told me about the days when people put up their tree on Christmas eve. Now the Damn trees go on sale right after Holloween. Fuck, there's a house down the street from me that already had Holloween decorations out on their lawn last week! In the middle of fucking September! Can you believe that shit!
While I don't really like it there is a good side as well. World population has doubled since you where young, just imagin how the roadways and stores would be if everyone is out and about at the same time.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:59 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswiththum View Post
If they insist on starting election campaign coverage almost 2 years early, I would like a little more bang for the buck.

Stage a halloween debate in Salem, Mass. - let Johnny Depp and Tim Burton moderate.

Media could play it for all it's worth - "Trump:Trick or Treat?" "Graham, Clinton, Walker: I see dead people!" And so forth.

Here ya go, Cats.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:04 PM

At least in that format, Mrs. Clinton could relax and be herself.