Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:20 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
I have no f##king idea how he can deliniate Trump's lack of management ability so thoroughly in his strips and support his election when he was the living model of the pointy haired insistently clueless boss.
He felt that Trump was life imitating HIS art, and he loves his own art....
Old 02-07-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
There is nothing to wonder about in the Northam flap. The photo was released by a former Breitbarter who works for another right-wing website because of Northam's position on abortion (he has spoken openly about this). Dems' reaction to it, as I explained already, was due to their desire to maintain the moral high ground on matters concerning Trump's racism and misogyny.

As for Robert Byrd, he's been dead for nearly 10 years, yet remains a favorite meme of conservatives engaging in whataboutism when their inappropriate racist behavior/history comes to the fore.

You really are slow on the uptake.
Uh huh, right. How many "Breitbarters" does it take to find Democrats in VA who like to wear blackface makeup?

Attorney General Mark Herring, 57, who has expressed gubernatorial ambitions and called four days ago for Northam to resign, admitted in a statement he donned brown face paint at a party in 1980 to impersonate a rapper.

http://news.trust.org/item/20190207010634-7kbbj
Old 02-07-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Knowing the region as I do, it was not uncommon for blackface to show up at costume and frat parties up until the mid 80's. It was actually quite common at frat parties in the Southeast. I think this is yet another case of applying today's standards to yesteryear.
BINGO!

It's also something folks - including folks on the left - love to do as Ambrose observes here.

Its exactly the point in bringing up Byrd. Bryd, regardless of his past, remains a hero. Yet, we're willing to destroy others who have engaged in far less egregious behavior in their histories. It makes no sense to me.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
What a lot of uninformed wingnuts like Whell think is that these statues were erected immediately after the Civil War to commemorate their heroes. In fact, however, the vast majority of the Confederate monuments were built during the era of Jim Crow laws (1877–1954) and the Civil Rights Movement (1954–1968) and were intended as a means of intimidating African Americans and reaffirming white supremacy.
Is that what I think, Finn? You've made the effort to discuss this with me and get my thoughts about it? No, you've not. Is this what I think? No its not.

Straw dog fallacy example? Yes, your post above is a great example. Thanks for providing it.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:10 AM

First, Whell, good to see you back.Yeah we disagree, but it will be nice to have an opposing opinion to discuss things with.

Second, I didn't read he whole thread so this may have been stated, apologies if it had.
This was done by a high school teenager about 35 years ago. Yes, it was totally lacking in consideration of others, totally insensitive and very lacking in poor judgment. The question should be if he was a high school kid looking for shock value and attention or if he was, and still is, racist. I suspect he was a stupid kid looking for shock value without regard or thought to his actions. What I do find appalling was his lack of ability to step up to the plate and own it. He should have recognized it, apologized and explained it was his childhood stupid actions that caused this.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:13 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
BINGO!

It's also something folks - including folks on the left - love to do as Ambrose observes here.

Its exactly the point in bringing up Byrd. Bryd, regardless of his past, remains a hero. Yet, we're willing to destroy others who have engaged in far less egregious behavior in their histories. It makes no sense to me.
You say he remains a hero? To who? Not to me, never to me. I call 'straw man.'
Old 02-07-2019, 08:13 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Nobody considers Byrd a hero other than West Virginians because of the incredible amount of federal funding he secured for the Mountain State.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:19 AM
Ready

Quote:
Is that what I think, Finn? You've made the effort to discuss this with me and get my thoughts about it? No, you've not. Is this what I think? No its not.

Straw dog fallacy example? Yes, your post above is a great example. Thanks for providing it.
Straw DOG? You mean 'Straw man fallicy.' You've made this slip before. I wouldn't mention it, except you marked your return with this bit of typical hostility:

Quote:
Busiest time of year at work. Been away for a while. But I see your vapid approach hasn't changed much.
As ever, you are the prime example of whatever you accuse other's of. Your approach is just what it's always been. Brainless but obnoxious.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

You said "In contrast, its Dems leading the charge to revise / erase history by insisting that Confederate military statues must be torn down." This conservative meme belies the fact that these statues were not erected for educational or historical purposes. They were erected during the Jim Crow era with the express purpose of reasserting white supremacy and promoting the Lost Cause of the Confederacy (which itself is revisionist history).

Furthermore, history is not taught via statues. It is taught via books and schools. One's understanding of Jefferson Davis or Nathan Bedford Forrest is not enhanced one whit by these statues that were erected to glorify the revisionist Lost Cause.

I'm happy to debate the fine points of Civil War history with you at any time. I'm an avid Civil War history buff, have visited all major Civil War battlefields in the country, read dozens of books on the subject and have conducted tours for family/friends of Gettysburg, Antietam, Harpers Ferry, and Monocacy battlefield (and my father was a guest lecturer on Civil War history in the state of Maryland). None of my or my father's knowledge of Civil War history came from looking at statues.

Last edited by finnbow; 02-07-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
ROFLMAO! Thanks, Whell, you never fail to provide a good chuckle with my morning coffee. Welcome back!