in keeping this site going.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Are you familiar with the Laffer Curve?

Chas
Yes I am. And the Tooth Fairy.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:55 PM

Even if it weren't "Voodoo" with historically low tax rates where do you think we fall on the curve? There is a "too low" scenario even in Laffer's world.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Even if it weren't "Voodoo" with historically low tax rates where do you think we fall on the curve? There is a "too low" scenario even in Laffer's world.
There is. And at this point in time, in this situation, I think that controlling spending as opposed to raising taxes is the direction to take. And spending wisely.

But it's not that simple anymore.

Chas
Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Yes I am. And the Tooth Fairy.
Apples and oranges. I don't believe that Reductio Ad Absurdum applies in this case.

Chas
Old 10-06-2009, 10:19 PM

I've read somewhere that the only people that are doing well are those involved with processing personal and corporate bankruptcies, those involved in mortgage foreclosures, and salvage people who clean out the houses of underwater mortgage holders who pack up and leave in the middle of the night. Seriously.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There is. And at this point in time, in this situation, I think that controlling spending as opposed to raising taxes is the direction to take. And spending wisely.

But it's not that simple anymore.

Chas
See, that's the thing. They've conned you into believing that we can keep lowering and lowering taxes. And when it all goes to hell, they say lower them some more. Okay, you say spend less. But there has to be a point where someone says "ya know, really, we just need more money".

I've been over this. There's no where to cut that makes enough difference that it would change anything other than Social Security, Medicade/Medicare (not going to happen) and military spending. We could make some difference if we were willing to cut military spending. But the people who want to keep taxes so low are the same ones who want to take over the world. Can't have it both ways.

In the mean time, we're up to our eye balls. Time to pay the bills.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 AM

We are seeing (knock wood) some pick-up in construction...some, not much.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
See, that's the thing. They've conned you into believing that we can keep lowering and lowering taxes. And when it all goes to hell, they say lower them some more. Okay, you say spend less. But there has to be a point where someone says "ya know, really, we just need more money".

I've been over this. There's no where to cut that makes enough difference that it would change anything other than Social Security, Medicade/Medicare (not going to happen) and military spending. We could make some difference if we were willing to cut military spending. But the people who want to keep taxes so low are the same ones who want to take over the world. Can't have it both ways.

In the mean time, we're up to our eye balls. Time to pay the bills.
I've been conned? Fucked maybe, but not conned.

No one has any intention of paying off the national debt other than through inflation. Besides, as a nation, we don't have enough money TO pay it off.

In theory, should we pay off the debt, we would have the money spent servicing the debt freed up to use for things of substance. And in theory, I agree with you there.

But the government doesn't operate like you and I. And they are busy raising taxes, they just call 'em something else.

Chas
Old 10-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
...knee cap and tax ...
Lol that's excellent!

Sales for me this year appear to be holding steady now, at down 20%. It had been as bad as down 40 earlier this year.

I get a housing industry newsletter that said that, because housing starts basically stopped completely, soon they will have to ramp up at least a little bit to fill even minor demand.

Just the same I'm waiting for the last empty street in a new development behind me to show construction before I believe anything.

Pete
Old 10-07-2009, 10:44 AM

Orders are up for us- actually better than this time last year. We're in the manufactured/ modular housing business.