Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:21 AM

NYPD, again!

NYPD Officer Placed on Modified Duty in James Blake Case

James Blake is a well respected black retired tennis star from the US visiting New York City for the US Open tournament. He is misidentified by a witness and subsequently manhandled and arrested outside his hotel as he was awaiting his ride..

Fortunately a retired NYPD cop identified him and he was soon released. Kudos to Commissioner Bratton in being proactive and strip the offending officer of his badge and gun, and ask their IA to open an investigation.

James Blake identified himself and offered to cooperate, yet the cops proceeded to manhandle him, throw him to the curb. This one is going to sting internationally since tennis is a worldwide sport.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nypd-off...ase-1441897116
Old 09-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Banned

A non story, it seems some people are drama queens.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
NYPD Officer Placed on Modified Duty in James Blake Case

James Blake is a well respected black retired tennis star from the US visiting New York City for the US Open tournament. He is misidentified by a witness and subsequently manhandled and arrested outside his hotel as he was awaiting his ride..

Fortunately a retired NYPD cop identified him and he was soon released. Kudos to Commissioner Bratton in being proactive and strip the offending officer of his badge and gun, and ask their IA to open an investigation.

James Blake identified himself and offered to cooperate, yet the cops proceeded to manhandle him, throw him to the curb. This one is going to sting internationally since tennis is a worldwide sport.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nypd-off...ase-1441897116

If you flash a badge and he his a perp as identified, he cuts and runs and can be hard to catch. So this is standard procedure. Usually, no one cares.

The risk of serious injury to an innocent person is considered acceptable by the guys doing the injury--and by most everyone else until a 'special person' gets tossed around.

'Special people' are different, of course. So the cop gets a paid vacation.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Banned

Selective outrage

How come no post on cop assassination on this site?

How come no threads on a gay liberal black man shooting white people on TV?
Old 09-10-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
If you flash a badge and he his a perp as identified, he cuts and runs and can be hard to catch. So this is standard procedure. Usually, no one cares.

The risk of serious injury to an innocent person is considered acceptable by the guys doing the injury--and by most everyone else until a 'special person' gets tossed around.

'Special people' are different, of course. So the cop gets a paid vacation.
Understood and thanks. How this will play out in the international media is anyone's guess. I assumed that well dressed people waiting on the curb outside five stars hotels will be accosted more professionally. My mistake and your explanation sounds reasonable though hard to accept.

Of course Zeke would say do not hand around the curb of swanky hotels if you don't want to be manhandled by the police.

Last edited by Rajoo; 09-10-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Understood and thanks. How this will play out in the international media is anyone's guess. I assumed that well dressed people waiting on the curb outside five stars hotels will be accosted more professionally. My mistake and your explanation sounds reasonable though hard to accept.

Of course Zeke would say do not hand around on the curb of swanky hotels if you don't want to be manhandled.
To be a tad more clear, I don't see an arrest method that risks injury as much as this to ever be acceptable for suspects not known to have done or threatened violence. But the thing this case really highlights is how much social class enters into it. The cop's actual crime was 'curbing a celebrity.' Absent that factor, we'd never have heard of this.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:07 PM

Can't remember where I read it - will try to find it again - author of the article pondered the consequences if large city police forces across the country, in response to the recent upsurge in targeted police assassinations, went on strike until better protective policies were implemented.

Interesting, although I don't believe police officers - as vital service providers - are allowed to strike. I could be wrong.

I wouldn't want to see it happen.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:33 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswiththum View Post
Can't remember where I read it - will try to find it again - author of the article pondered the consequences if large city police forces across the country, in response to the recent upsurge in targeted police assassinations, went on strike until better protective policies were implemented.

Interesting, although I don't believe police officers - as vital service providers - are allowed to strike. I could be wrong.

I wouldn't want to see it happen.
Good grief. Is that the choice, we must smile and say 'good job' when the cops tackle non-violent suspects, or else they may ponder going on strike to show us they must be allowed to do their job just as they please?
Old 09-10-2015, 01:35 PM

Another E.W.B.B
Old 09-10-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Good grief. Is that the choice, we must smile and say 'good job' when the cops tackle non-violent suspects, or else they may ponder going on strike to show us they must be allowed to do their job just as they please?
I don't believe that was his point - will try to find the article. If I remember correctly, he was putting out different possible scenarios as a result of the recent increase in the targeting of police officers.