Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
My stepmother is an RN at a nursing home near here. I don't visit her at work...the place just smells of death. I remember watching what she had to go through as my dad died from the outside in from ALS. He was in his mid 60's. I got to witness my mother go through my stepfather dying from emphysema and lung cancer. When the chemo and radiation did nothing but break up the cancer and spread it through the rest of his body and into his brain until the emphysema and pneumonia decided to bless him with congestive heart failure. He was in his early 50's. My mother was an LPN and loved working in the Alzheimer/dementia ward. She loved it so much she took dementia patients into her home after she retired. Now mom just got diagnosed with lung cancer last month and we get to go through that with her. I get to selfishly mourn the fact that she won't be around for me any longer soon, but she will be the one really "going through" shit. She has already told the docs to piss off, she won't be a guinea pig for them. She has already made it perfectly clear that nobody is to do anything except to keep her as pain free as possible until she goes. If any of them at any time would have been able to just "GO" instead of having to endure what they went through I would have done anything in my power to make it happen. So I just have two words for you Whell.

Fuck you!
I am very sorry to here about you mother. It is never easy to watch the one who gave you life go through the pain of a serious disease. I wish the best for her and you.

I just lost my brother in law to lung cancer. Your mother is correct. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. A tumour was discovered in his lungs during a routine physical. Turned out it was inoperable but was small. His mother and sisters encouraged him to go through the chemo treatment. Every three weeks his blood had to be replaced. Typing whole blood is very hard to do. They messed the blood typing up. Jimmy died in a few hours when his blood clotted in his body. He was 60 years old and probably would have lived many more years without treatment.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
Well I feel a lot better tonight. Thanks for the kind words from most...even Whell. I can get just as emotional as the next guy, and I would rather apologize to somebody for being an asshole than to hold my feelings all inside. I guess what really gets my goat is that there are people out there who are in love with the idea of letting "nature take it's course" for friends and family, even if it means misery and pain to the individual, yet at the same time they will go out to the back 40 and shoot their dog or horse to put it out of misery.
Glad you are feeling better, watching loved ones suffer is never easy yet we are taught that letting go is bad. My sister and I both were asking God to take our brother home to our parents and oldest brother. The real Ross was long gone so what was the point in letting his body suffer. Well He finally did last month.

Some say "But they may discover the cure tomorrow." however what purpose will that serve when the body has been so ravaged that cure is no longer an answer. Some things you cope with, Dad lost his right leg just below the knee in an accident shortly after coming to Canada. So he got a prothesis and just kept on going, married Mom and raised us four kids. But other things that attack the body or mind are not reversible nor to be coped with. I did not feel guilt for my prayers for my brother because I loved him more than I loved me.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
It may go back to the concept of suicide being a mortal sin for some Catholics and to the rigid teachings of Rome. Not that I agree with that at all but it was an insight my non practicing Catholic wife floated as I was talking with her about this thread. Maybe Whell is a devout Catholic?
Funny, I have always thought of suicide as the utmost criticism of society -your world sucks so badly I cannot abide it any longer. My first marriage had corroded so badly I seriously contemplated flooring the pedal and pointing the car at a bridge abutment.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:25 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Funny, I have always thought of suicide as the utmost criticism of society -your world sucks so badly I cannot abide it any longer. My first marriage had corroded so badly I seriously contemplated flooring the pedal and pointing the car at a bridge abutment.
Glad you didn't do that.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Glad you didn't do that.
So is Florence, but then she is the reason why I didn't.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Lucky man Rob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Me too, despite the fact he irritates me like a bad rash. Arguing with the agreeable gets boring and pointless very quickly.

Regards,
Dave
I absolutely agree.

Pete