Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:43 AM

Why I am a shoshalist

I was thinking(dangerous thing to do) about all of the people on this board. I find it fascinating that there is such diversity and dedication by all of the folks to their beliefs. Not because people are nuts and how could so many people be wrong, but rather because people are generally not nuts and believe firmly for their own personal reasons. I am quite certain this comes from their life experiences and observations. With that I thought it might be good for me to share why I am a sshoshalist.

When I was a child, everything in my life was about family. It was how I was raised. No one was better or more deserving than the next. No one got more than the next. Also, no one was ever left out. Everyone was expected to pitch in and be a part of the family. We were an extremely poor family. I can remember adding up the cost of my best Sunday suit, it was generally less than $2.00 and usually bought at garage sales or thrift stores. We were expected as kids to help each other and share everything we had. It was the only way to make ends meet. Hand me downs were a way of life. I started working when I was ten. If I wasn't mowing lawns, I was shoveling walks, If not that then I was pulling weeds or maybe painting a fence. When I was little older I started babysitting. At 12 I got a paper route. And so on. I was taught to look at the money I earned in two ways.

First, if I buy something, is it something I need? This would be clothing or shoes or food. Most of the time the answer was no. I did not NEED a new pair of shoes, I wanted a pair of shoes. I didn't need that cool new pair of jeans I wanted them. I certainly didn't need that bag of chocolate, but I wanted it.

Second, if I only wanted it and didn't need it, could I afford it. If I did buy it, would I be able to have enough to share it. Whenever I bought that bag of candy or whatever it was and did not need it, I was expected to share with my siblings and parents. I was one of 8 kids. My mother and father always said, "Remember, your family is always more important than that candy. Always take care of each other.". When I bought my first car, it was understood that it would be used to transport family members whenever needed, in fact, that I would become one of the "chauffer's" hauling kids around to events as needed. I knew before I bought my car this was the case. I was taught to consider others needs before I used my "resources". This meant everything from my time to my money. I was taught to be conservative as resources were scarce. I was taught that charitable actions were the core to a good person and a strong family. By sharing, we were telling each other we loved each other. We were making the statement that we would always be there for each other.

I am fifty now and all of my siblings are alive as well as my parents. People frequently tell me they have never met a family as close as ours. We are always there for each other. If a water heater goes out in the middle of he night, one or more of us will show up to help. If someone is out of work, they know their family will never be hungry or without clothes or shelter.

I am a pretty strong and independent person today. I do not rely on anyone for resources. I luckily have never had to be on the receiving and of financial means. I guess I learned how hard it was to come up with that money and I would not want to deprive a person of their means. I would gladly give to those who need it though. Here again, the key word is "NEED". This shoshalistic attitude has made me a strong person, and a charitable person. It has also made my family a strong family.

The one key thing here, I was taught to give to those who were in need. I was not taught to give to another person who would then distribute those resources to others. It was my responsibility to give to those in need, not my parents, not my teachers, or my government.

Sorry for the long rambling mess of words. I just wanted to give a little insight on why I believe as I do.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:56 AM

You Are just another Biological Speculation Among Billions,Your Life you have made It is a blueprint of your secret desires and aspirations,all man carves jis way into life some wrecklessly some Frugaly and Inteligent.Our thoughts dictate how we carry ourselves and disply our selves to the public.Man Does have the ability to link to others to make a more Powerful example Usualy with the right Mate or even Freindships.Soshalsm,is probaly the first set of priciples man followed,after chaos.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:38 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Well said, Mr. Cricket.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:56 AM
Area Man

Here's Dave Mathews take on it;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jKh9H9UdoA

Dave
Old 05-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Area Man

How about;

http://www.cato.org/sites/cato.org/f...nservative.pdf

Dave
Old 05-12-2014, 10:16 AM

The problem is not everyone gives or they look at needs of others with a skeptical eye.

A reason to take it out of an individuals control to one of a controlled system funded by everyone.

I'm all for the government controlling most of the way society works, with a strong citizen oversight. Not let up to elected officials. Have a nonpartisan commission to enforce the rules.

Just as an example medical care, take the insurance companies out of the loop. Would save money but the only downside I can see is the jobs that are lost. Another is education, make all public schools equal in the services offered. Fund the inner city schools the same as the higher income areas.

Barney
Old 05-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Sorry for the long rambling mess of words. I just wanted to give a little insight on why I believe as I do.
It was a good speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3wmdgnkjSA
Old 05-12-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
The one key thing here, I was taught to give to those who were in need. I was not taught to give to another person who would then distribute those resources to others.

That is all very nice but what is wrong if you give to another and they in turn give to it those in need i.e. pay it forward?. And not all of us are as nice as you.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
That is all very nice but what is wrong if you give to another and they in turn give to it those in need i.e. pay it forward?. And not all of us are as nice as you.
Nothing, in fact that is how it should work. My point, and I failed to make it clear, we were responsible to make it work. We were not supposed to give to another person and hope they would make it work. So giving it to a third party and then saying I did my part was not acceptable. Looking at the people in need and doing everything you can to help was our responsibility, not the government's or the churches' or anyone else's.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Nothing, in fact that is how it should work. My point, and I failed to make it clear, we were responsible to make it work. We were not supposed to give to another person and hope they would make it work. So giving it to a third party and then saying I did my part was not acceptable. Looking at the people in need and doing everything you can to help was our responsibility, not the government's or the churches' or anyone else's.
The government is the people! I don't trust if left up to people in general to give equally to those who have needs. Will be selective in the conception of needs. Either subconsciously or intended. By what church you go to, ethnicity, race, economic level, education level age ect......

Barney