Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

What Manning did (or at least what I know of it) was definitely a crime by a dumb, naive and emotionally troubled kid. The question remains as to why such a kid had the requisite clearances and access to classified data.

As for Assange, he's a self-important twit. That doesn't make him a criminal nor much different than a lot of reporters/journalists.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
What Manning did (or at least what I know of it) was definitely a crime by a dumb, naive and emotionally troubled kid. The question remains as to why such a kid had the requisite clearances and access to classified data.
That has troubled me since I first learned of the kid's background. I was also troubled (and still am) by what was an apparent total lack of supervision in the kid's activities. He's a PFC for crying out loud. Yes, I've had E-3s working in a Top Secret environment but they were never permitted in the spaces alone nor were they unsupervised by at minimum a Petty Officer Second Class (E-5).

Quote:
As for Assange, he's a self-important twit. That doesn't make him a criminal nor much different than a lot of reporters/journalists.
Fortunately for Assange, I don't make the laws. If I did, being a total asshole would be a capital offense. Yeah, I know reporters do it as well. They're assholes as well.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
The question remains as to why such a kid had the requisite clearances and access to classified data.
He's not a Muslim?

John
Old 08-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej View Post
That has troubled me since I first learned of the kid's background. I was also troubled (and still am) by what was an apparent total lack of supervision in the kid's activities. He's a PFC for crying out loud. Yes, I've had E-3s working in a Top Secret environment but they were never permitted in the spaces alone nor were they unsupervised by at minimum a Petty Officer Second Class (E-5).
In keeping with long-held traditions in military justice, they prosecute a PFC while ignoring the actions of superiors that allowed/enabled the crime.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
In keeping with long-held traditions in military justice, they prosecute a PFC while ignoring the actions of superiors that allowed/enabled the crime.
From what I understand one or two received Art. 15 NJP. Oh boy, that'll take 'em to task.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
From what I understand one or two received Art. 15 NJP. Oh boy, that'll take 'em to task.
... while Bradley Manning could theoretically receive the death penalty. I rest my case.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
... while Bradley Manning could theoretically receive the death penalty. I rest my case.
And I totally agree with you.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Foe the civilians out there, an Article 15 is the least severe form of punishment under the military justice system. It's purely administrative and a non-judicial punishment (NJP), handled at the unit level by the commander.

John
Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Foe the civilians out there, an Article 15 is the least severe form of punishment under the military justice system. It's purely administrative and a non-judicial punishment (NJP), handled at the unit level by the commander.

John
Thanks, John. Didn't write for the reader that time, did I?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post

John
AKA Latrine duty...every commisioned officer needs one of those in their resume.