Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-24-2022, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noogies View Post
Kind of getting away from the original premise of the thread, folks. Roe v. Wade, states rights, women's rights, right to life are all well-worn topics for debate here and elsewhere. Done to death. I specifically wanted to know whether anybody thought the SCOTUS decision today might give a back-handed boost to the Dems in the mid-terms or are they still screwed?
Hard to say, both sides could be motivated to show up as mirror images of the issues.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Kind of getting away from the original premise of the thread, folks. Roe v. Wade, states rights, women's rights, right to life are all well-worn topics for debate here and elsewhere. Done to death. I specifically wanted to know whether anybody thought the SCOTUS decision today might give a back-handed boost to the Dems in the mid-terms or are they still screwed?
I think it will, in the end, hurt the dems. The reason is simple but at least twofold. First, the population in general is NOT pro-choice, at least according to polls. That is, more people than not are against "abortion on demand at any and all stages of pregnancy".

Second, as this is discussed, more and more people will reach the knowledge level to understand that this is really not about making abortion legal or illegal, but about getting the federal government out of it and giving it back to the states. This one is huge, because now politicians running for office in each state will have to take a stand, LOCALLY, on any abortion law. And this is where the first issue above will bite them.

However, that second one will help democrats in states like California and NY, but hurt them in the red states and, of significant importance, in the more purple states.

All IMO, of course. At least politics became more local with this decision - as it should be. Us Kentuckians don't like Schumer having much of a say in our politics here just as Californians don't like Rand Paul having much say in their politics.

Edit: There was also a lot of talk on the analysis shows yesterday about this meaning you can either try to change the laws in your own state or, if that is fruitless, move to one that aligns with your perspective. That one hits me close to home because that is exactly what I did. As my state (WA) moved farther and farther left in the 46 years I lived there, I felt more and more like a stranger, and I left for rural Kentucky in 2011. I've been embraced by the local people. We have a LOT more in common. I love it.

Last edited by Not Insane; 06-25-2022 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:22 AM

One step closer to an unaccountable theocracy facitilitated by ideological court stuffing with activist judges breaking presidents for an extremist Christian agenda.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...trac-rcna35228

Last edited by Pio1980; 06-25-2022 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I'm betting the GQP has shot itself in the pecker over all of this.
If the Dems are smart they'll play this to their advantage. The time for playing nice and fair is over.

Quote:
I'm thinking that too, especially if SCOTUS takes a run at contraception or same-sex marriage before November.
Being the political arm of the GOP that they are they'll lay low on that until after the election. If the Dems are smart they'll capitalize on C. Thomas letting the cat out of the bag by signaling his intent to go after those after the Roe v. Wade ruling. The Repubs are responsible for the corrupted SC and they should be made to pay for that at the ballot box
Old 06-25-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
One step closer to an unaccountable theocracy facitilitated by ideological court stuffing with activist judges breaking presidents for an extremist Christian agenda.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...trac-rcna35228
Nothing extremist about it, and it is not just Christians.

And back at ya.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMSnDGSWsXY&t=300s
Old 06-25-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
If the Dems are smart they'll play this to their advantage. The time for playing nice and fair is over.

Being the political arm of the GOP that they are they'll lay low on that until after the election. If the Dems are smart they'll capitalize on C. Thomas letting the cat out of the bag by signaling his intent to go after those after the Roe v. Wade ruling. The Repubs are responsible for the corrupted SC and they should be made to pay for that at the ballot box
My take is that this will really play into the GOP's hands come November. Let's see which one of us called it best. It's only a few months away.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:23 AM
Jigsawed

Inflation/recession is where it's at.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Inflation/recession is where it's at.
Yep. The dirty little secret is that although everyone has an opinion on Roe, it's a low priority regarding voting. And now that abortion is turned over to the states, the states are going to vote the way they were going to vote based on the other stuff that actually impacts all of us directly. And in the places of hotbed abortion support, they are "democrat only" districts anyway. That's why people like Pelosi and AOC are where they are.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:03 AM

Juneteenth is the holiday celebrating, when the Republicans freed the slaves from their evil Slave Master Owners, aka Elite Democrats/The KKK.
Then, on 24 June 2022, the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade!

Abortion kills 1,000 black babies every day in America. Abortion is not just a woman’s issue. It’s a human rights issue.

Abortion is the number one killer of black lives in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, abortion kills more black people than HIV, homicide, diabetes, accident, cancer, and heart disease … combined.

In 2019, black women had 38.4% of all abortions in the U.S., despite African-Americans comprising only 12.4% of the total population.

In Michigan, black women make up only about 14% of Michigan’s female population, but they had 55.4% of all abortions reported in the state in 2020.*

Old 06-25-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
Juneteenth is the holiday celebrating, when the Republicans freed the slaves from their evil Slave Master Owners, aka Elite Democrats/The KKK.
All that proves is that the two parties have had some serious role reversal in the ensuing 157 years.