Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiedave View Post
That is right, there was ample and legitimate reason to shoot him. However, the reason to kill him had expired, as he was no longer a physical threat to Wilson or any member of the public, after he had been wounded four times.
Yes, he was a definite threat to the public until subdued. His alleged aggressive behavior before the fatal shot made that plainly obvious.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Yes, he was a definite threat to the public until subdued. His alleged aggressive behavior before the fatal shot made that plainly obvious.
And you don't know subdued until he's on the ground.

That's the -- appropriate -- training.

People have been killed by mortally wounded criminals...
Old 11-26-2014, 11:51 AM

Wounded desperate perps taking hostages is an all-too-common dangerous scenario.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Wounded desperate perps taking hostages is an all-too-common dangerous scenario.

The 'hostage' trope is a mindworm that I find particularly odious. It's pure speculation. There is no actual evidence that Brown did one thing to show an intention to take a hostage.

Since when do we shoot people in this country for what we speculate they might do?
Old 11-26-2014, 12:32 PM

Brown stole cigars, he didn't rob a bank. And if he tried to take someone hostage in the Canfield Apartment complex, he rapidly would be disabused of THAT notion with either a swift kick to the balls, or some tough love.

We have had plenty of fleeing criminals who have successfully hidden for a day here, and the normal MO is for a parent, cousin, pastor, or neighborhood elder to take them to the precinct or hospital that night or the next day.

The only danger Brown presented was to a box of twinkies or fresh laundry. He didn't play varsity sports, and at 290+ pounds and with a hole in his hand(and ears ringing,) he couldn't even run 150 feet without stopping. You want dangerous, come meet some of the homeless river denizens and coyotes that parade through our work site and try to make off with our Caterpillar parts en route to the scrap yards nearby.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Brown stole cigars, he didn't rob a bank. And if he tried to take someone hostage in the Canfield Apartment complex, he rapidly would be disabused of THAT notion with either a swift kick to the balls, or some tough love.

We have had plenty of fleeing criminals who have successfully hidden for a day here, and the normal MO is for a parent, cousin, pastor, or neighborhood elder to take them to the precinct or hospital that night or the next day.

The only danger Brown presented was to a box of twinkies or fresh laundry. He didn't play varsity sports, and at 290+ pounds and with a hole in his hand(and ears ringing,) he couldn't even run 150 feet without stopping. You want dangerous, come meet some of the homeless river denizens and coyotes that parade through our work site and try to make off with our Caterpillar parts en route to the scrap yards nearby.

Enough excuses. Brown assaulted a police officer and tried to take the officer's weapon from him. That is just wrong.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:08 PM

Barbara, he got in a scuffle, ran, and then stopped. He probably would spend a fair time in jail, which would be fair. However, we don't know all that happened in the SUV. We don't know all about the gun story, because we haven't heard anything in public. Everthing is out there, but waiting to be parsed, and most of it is in Braille, because we have been denied the opportunity to have it enumerated in court.

We do know that Wilson hasn't a care in the world about Brown, nor any remorse. That is scary. I worry about running over a squirrel.

The good thing that will arise from this, and other situations, will be the establishment of police citizen review boards for St. Louis city and county, and there will be a surplus of folks like me eager and willing to serve. We need to change how police are trained to use deadly force. Currently it is too broad.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Barbara, he got in a scuffle, ran, and then stopped. He probably would spend a fair time in jail, which would be fair. However, we don't know all that happened in the SUV. We don't know all about the gun story, because we haven't heard anything in public. Everthing is out there, but waiting to be parsed, and most of it is in Braille, because we have been denied the opportunity to have it enumerated in court.
Hold the phone. Word is that the AP is getting ready to release details on Grand Jury witness testimony that is (deliberately?) conflicting, mis-leading, and upon modest scrutiny failed to hold water. Many of these are likely the same witness statements that news sources reported as "fact".
Old 11-26-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:

We do know that Wilson hasn't a care in the world about Brown, nor any remorse. That is scary. I worry about running over a squirrel.

The good thing that will arise from this, and other situations, will be the establishment of police citizen review boards for St. Louis city and county, and there will be a surplus of folks like me eager and willing to serve. We need to change how police are trained to use deadly force. Currently it is too broad.

Got in a scuffle?
No, he reached into a patrol vehicle, assaulted the officer and tried to get his weapon.
That isn't a 'scuffle'.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:19 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Got in a scuffle?
No, he reached into a patrol vehicle, assaulted the officer and tried to get his weapon.
That isn't a 'scuffle'.
He got shot for that. Which was justified perhaps, but still, more force than necessary. All Wilson would have had to do was gun the engine and move his vehicle 5 feet forward and that threat would have been over.

Then, when Brown ran away wounded and was no longer a threat to Wilson
Wilson choose to pursue him and finish him off. That to me was murder.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 11-26-2014 at 01:26 PM.