Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Kiss Mars goodbye?

Bloomberg is banning Mars bars in NYC.

Just kidding

Sliding Spring, a comet, is coming close to Mars next year. Almost certainly too small to smash the red planet and it's not expected actually hit it anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2013_A1

But, as the nucleus heats up gas jets can push it around making it very hard to say exactly how close it will be.

In a way it's too bad it'll miss because it would give us a real wakeup call. The 50ish foot dia meteorite that blasted Russia and made the earth ring like a bell barely registered.

There's another comet coming later this year that could perhaps be very visible but no threat:

http://www.space.com/19973-comet-ison.html

Pete
Old 04-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Area Man

Cool. I love this stuff. Thanks, Pete. I wish we would get hit with one strong enough to scare the crap out of everybody, without killing anyone. Sort of like another Tunguska. That would be awesome.

Dave
Old 04-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Honestly I'd rather it hit Mars

Pete
Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Honestly I'd rather it hit Mars

Pete
If it hit Mississippi, would anyone notice?

Dave
Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 AM

Just think of all the vintage audio that will be up for grabs in our post-apocalyptic world.

I think being able to change out a selenium rectifier on an old Fisher tube amp may keep you from getting killed by the mutants on the motorcycles.....
Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

My god man! Have you no decency?? Think of the moonshine!!

Wasn't Cash from there? 'Mississippi delta land, you robbed me of my youth, I worked your soil, for all that toil, I never owned an inch of you'

Ice I'm afraid there wouldn't be much call for techs or mechs or salesmen in that horrible possibility, if it was that bad. I figure I'd die probably of starvation, yay.

Pete
Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
My god man! Have you no decency?? Think of the moonshine!!

Wasn't Cash from there? 'Mississippi delta land, you robbed me of my youth, I worked your soil, for all that toil, I never owned an inch of you'

Ice I'm afraid there wouldn't be much call for techs or mechs or salesmen in that horrible possibility, if it was that bad. I figure I'd die probably of starvation, yay.

Pete
Since I know how to shoot x-rays and run a CT scanner I may be able to provide some services...but of course there will be no doctors around to fix people....

scary thought

be careful what you wish for Dave...
Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 AM

Cash was from Arkansas. Yes, I met Johnny Cash. If that ain't country you can kiss my *ss.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Area Man

I want it to slam straight into this planet.

Dave
Old 04-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I like some old country and bluegrass, have a harder time with more modern stuff. Occasionally I hear something I like but I never know who it is. I would've loved to meet Cash.

LOL Dave you ever get up here you get a 6 of Burning River for that!

Ice hard to run machines with no power. I'm considered what I'd do in a real problem (from possible nuke strikes back in the cold war days). Can't stay in metro areas, no food, roving packs of marauders. Can't go north (Lake Erie), east or west goes to cities, best bet would be to get to WV but everyone would have that same idea. Like I said, starve.

Civilization is fragile. The planet is fragile. Heck even our entire solar system is a speck on the cosmic scale. You don't need an impact to kill life on this planet, all you need is a large body to pass through the system.

I love this stuff too

Pete