Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 AM

Here's the credo of the Muslim Brotherhood:

"God is our objective; the Quran is our law, the Prophet is our leader; Jihad is our way; and death for the sake of God is the highest of our aspirations."

Of course the Obama admin felt the need to reopen formal diplomatic relations with this group (which were earlier suspended on suspicions of involvement in terrorism) once it started becoming apparent that they were becoming a serious political player in Egypt and Obama even called to congratulate Mursi last week on his win.

The last time I checked this group has not renounced their credo and still considers jihad as their way and death for the sake of Allah to be their highest aspiration. It just a matter of weeks however before we see a picture of Obama bowing to Mohamed Mursi.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz View Post

"God is our objective; the Quran is our law, the Prophet is our leader; Jihad is our way; and death for the sake of God is the highest of our aspirations."

Of course the Obama admin felt the need to reopen formal diplomatic relations with this group (which were earlier suspended on suspicions of involvement in terrorism) once it started becoming apparent that they were becoming a serious political player in Egypt and Obama even called to congratulate Mursi last week on his win.

The last time I checked this group has not renounced their credo and still considers jihad as their way and death for the sake of Allah to be their highest aspiration. It just a matter of weeks however before we see a picture of Obama bowing to Mohamed Mursi.
Do you believe that last sentence, or are you trolling?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz View Post

The Muslim Brotherhood formally renounced violence about 40 years ago during the presidency of Anwar el-Sadat.

Also, you should look up what is actually meant by the term "jihad".

John
Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
The Muslim Brotherhood formally renounced violence about 40 years ago during the presidency of Anwar el-Sadat.

Also, you should look up what is actually meant by the term "jihad".

John
There isn't a single definition of "jihad". It typically depends on the context that it is used. Like the similar word "struggle", it can refer to a symbolic struggle of conscience or conviction, it can refer figuratively to an obstacle that must be overcome, or it can refer to an actual, physical conflict. Therefore, you'd need to refer to the entire sentence or paragraph of a statement containing the word to determine how the word it being used.

I continue to believe that this situation in Egypt needs to be watched with caution. There is a lot of talk about what Morsi's victory might mean. Like the use of the word jihad, we'll need to watch as events unfold over there to determine what it really does mean.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I continue to believe that this situation in Egypt needs to be watched with caution. There is a lot of talk about what Morsi's victory might mean. Like the use of the word jihad, we'll need to watch as events unfold over there to determine what it really does mean.
Of course. That's only sensible but the ascendancy of The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt is not tantamount to bin Laden becoming president of Egypt as the right wing Islamophobes would have us believe.

John

(Interesting. my spill chucker wants me to use "homophobe" instead of "Islamophobe".)
Old 06-25-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post

(Interesting. my spill chucker wants me to use "homophobe" instead of "Islamophobe".)
Dude, even your spell checker is a flaming lib?!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 AM

The Egyptian people are in the very beginning of a new era. As much as the rest of the world and they want it nothing happens over night. Between the Military suspending the congress and holdovers from Mubarak's government this will take time.

If political parties are allowed to be formed and with polite discussion then good things will happen. The US can not expect an other free country to be or do as we would like all the time. The US must tread lightly right now on influencing the internal affairs in a country in flux as Egypt is now. Sometimes leaving a Hornet's nest along is the best policy.

The people now have a taste for freedom now and there will be growing pains. Much like the US has witnessed over the years and still to this day experiences.

A big step in the right direction was the fact the Military allowing the results in this election to take effect. I will take a wait and see. Hoping for the best to happen.

Barney
Old 06-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I heard on France24 this AM that the secular Egyptians are blaming the US for the MB win

Pete
Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I heard on France24 this AM that the secular Egyptians are blaming the US for the MB win

Pete
Sounds like they have learned one of the principal tools of politicians - finger pointing. They are becoming westernized.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Area Man

I'm guessing the Muslim Brotherhood is nothing but bad news. But, I also know that Egypt is a sovereign nation and that they elected those freaks of their own choice.

We tried supporting a dictator to enforce our will, in their country for over thirty years........like we have all over that part of the world...........

And, you can just FEEL the love, can't you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg towers.jpg (24.2 KB, 3 views)