Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
HK don't be run off.

The US and Europe are just different. It doesn't mean one is necessarily better than the other, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other.

Europe has violent crime, and if you pull suicide out of the stats even gun deaths are pretty minimal here.

Pete
Say what? Northern Europe has precious little violent crime compared to us. A quick look here shows that most European countries hover around 0.2 gun homicides per 100,000 population and we have 2.72. In other words, their firearms homicide rate is about 7% of ours.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

What part?

A quick glance found this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fztOH2cu4V...nceoneyear.jpg
Here: http://letstalkbooksandpolitics.blog...massacres.html

Unfortunately it doesn't have the year. It shows suicides accounting for 58% or so of handgun deaths that year.

Pete
Old 08-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Say what? Northern Europe has precious little violent crime compared to us. A quick look here shows that most European countries hover around 0.2 gun homicides per 100,000 population and we have 2.72. In other words, their firearms homicide rate is about 7% of ours.
Violent crime overall Finn. Rapes, assaults, etc.

Pete
Old 08-08-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
What part?

A quick glance found this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fztOH2cu4V...nceoneyear.jpg
Here: http://letstalkbooksandpolitics.blog...massacres.html

Unfortunately it doesn't have the year. It shows suicides accounting for 58% or so of handgun deaths that year.

Pete
He was comparing homicide rates. Suicides are usually not counted as homicides.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Rational Anarchist

Self inflicted homicide?
Old 08-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Violent crime overall Finn. Rapes, assaults, etc.

Pete
All I know is that I lived in Germany for 11 years and never once heard of a violent crime (rape, assault, etc.) committed by anyone other than an American GI. Also, at that time there was no part of any German city that I would be afraid to walk at midnight. That's certainly not true around here.

You may be referring to some some Conservative UK politicians claims that the UK had a higher violent crime rate than the US. This has been debunked is a case of the data being skewed due to the countries' respective definition of violent crime.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I didn't see that one. I was looking at rates the other day.

Here's the motherload:

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/por...earch_database

But really? TMI.

Forget the UK, they're not European anyway (if you ask them ). I know there's charts out there....

Pete
Old 08-08-2014, 10:55 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Here's some thin rape stats: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tions_2012.png
Old 08-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Area Man

I don't see how anyone can claim the 2nd Amendment, (as some of us interpret it), has made this country safer than comparable societies, because it simply has not. The fact that so many Americans now claim that they feel compelled to own a gun due to our violent crime rates tells the tale with stark clarity. Your gun does not necessarily keep you any safer or our crime rate would be much lower, but instead it continues to be a serious problem and one of the worst among comparable nations at that. The criminals don't seem to give a damn whether you're armed or not.

I don't even believe it protects your freedom from governmental excess either. In fact, I tend to believe the gun issue for both sides is a distractor employed as the powers that be strip you of other rights. My own brother (unwittingly) said it best in speaking of the U.S. Constitution;

"The 2nd Amendment is more important than all the rest of that shit...........".

I honestly think my brother and others like him fail to see that they are bringing guns to a money fight. This is useless. It will get them nowhere. I doubt the powers they fear will EVER come after them with guns, they don't have to. It's jobs, employment and money they will use to keep the jackass chasing the carrot in perpetual futility. You might as well stick a bulb in the barrel and use your gun for a fucking lamp.........If you can still afford the electricity.

Imagine how further along we might get if we stopped barking up the wrong tree, folks.................

Dave
Old 08-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Persona non grata

I just found out that since I have moved to Alabama my Florida CWP is not valid here.

I also found out that Alabama is an open carry state.

So instead of slipping my little snub nosed .38 into my pocket, I will have to buy a holster and just strap my big assed .357 Magnum to my hip.