Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:09 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
There really isn't any difference any more, especially since most of the Japanese cars we buy are made right here.

American car companies do a very decent job these days.

John
I don't care. I gave American Cars more than a fair chance. I gave them second, third, and fourth chances. They blew it. I'm done with them and I'm never going back.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:11 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I don't care. I gave American Cars more than a fair chance. I gave them second, third, and fourth chances. They blew it. I'm done with them and I'm never going back.
^^^My point made in three sentences.^^^

Dave
Old 03-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
^^^My point made in three sentences.^^^

Dave
You're Goddamned right!

I wouldn't go back to my Ex-Wife either.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:33 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Went for a walk around the park and was struck by the preponderance of Japanese company cars. It seems like NY consumers are of the same opinion...they are not going back.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Yeah, so? Do you really believe Japanese cars never breakdown? That's funny, I have passed quite a few, sitting by the side of the road, over the years.

Are you trying to make the "Everybody knows......" argument or the "Some people say........." argument?

Dave
Yes, they all break down at some point, I had a Nissan Altima come in with 77,000 miles that a local woman bought brand new. She lost oil pressure, the oil light wouldn't go out. I screwed a test gauge in place of the oil pressure switch and sure enough, it had ''some'' pressure cold but as soon as it warmed up a bit it was dead on zero. So I pulled the timing cover ( the oil pump gears are built in the cover and crankshaft runs through the center of the gear ). What I found was GOBS of shavings and glitter that had ran through the gears and chewed the gears up. But it was clear where they came from as when I pulled the two piece oil pan off ( timing cover on these cannot be removed with pan in place ) I found both the cam chain tensioner arm and guide both ground up in the oil pan in pieces. 77,000 miles, and we are talking about an engine that was always serviced and never had the gas pedal mashed to the floor in it's life. Anew timing set, and oil pump/timing cover assembly & good cleaning out and she ran with perfect oil pressure.

With that said, I see some of about all makes and models with 200k or more still running great with no major repairs and some have even been badly dogged. I see much more good luck than I do bad when under the hoods. I just sent a Ford F150 out of here the other day that had 256k and the 4.6 ran super.. used for pulling a horse trailer, hauling hay, travel to work, etc and isn't but a half ton. Only reason it was here was fix the number 1 and 2 missfires ( which they were told was a blown head gasket being he was having to add coolent every few days and nobody else wanted to tackle pulling a head or heads off it ). Upon my inspection the missfires were simply from a coolent leak which I found to be the plastic intake had cracked behind the right front corner and the coolent ran down in the plug holes shorting out #1&2 coil packs. He was quoted over 2k to repair it and I fixed him up for under 500. The new Dorman intake was 168.00 and a complete set of 8 new coil packs were 49.00... and a set of plugs which wasn't much. The new intake is re-designed and has O-ring seals that came with it. Took hardly any time to fix that one, it was gravy. Dealers will break it off in ya.. gotta watch'em boys. They just assumed the thing had a blown head gasket without honestly making sure it didn't, and in this case the guy was darn glad a friend sent him to me. I don't ask for anything that comes here, once a mechanic.. it follows you even when your getting old and don't really want to fool with the stuff anymore. Hard to say no if you know someone is fixing to get the shaft though. I really don't ask a penny from some, I just do it for them if I think they are in a pinch. I've my hardships and haven't forgot the folks who were there for me and I pay it fwd the only way I know how.

Last edited by hillbilly; 03-30-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:41 PM
Jigsawed

Hello HillyBilly I would like to read your post but it is difficult to do so.

Could you insert some paragraphs. It would make it easier on the old eyes.

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:51 PM

Well I am saying that I think most Hondas go into the 250s fairly regularly.

My Civic went to 289,000 and some dude gave me $500 bucks for it even though it was not running.

When I get may house paid off I was thinking about a new F150 with the aluminium body so I load them up with old consoles before I gut them for the tubes lol.

I think buying a used Honda or Toyota with 50k or less is a no brainer.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Robbin, 300k is way beyond the norm for any car (except maybe those old Merc diesels). On the other hand, 100k, which used to be a big deal, is nothing to get excited about any more.

John
I know but I feel like I had something to do with it!
Old 03-30-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Hello HillyBilly I would like to read your post but it is difficult to do so.

Could you insert some paragraphs. It would make it easier on the old eyes.

Thanks a lot.
Sorry about that. I do the best I can. I've learned to spell better but still learning the rest.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:30 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Yes, they all break down at some point, I had a Nissan Altima come in with 77,000 miles that a local woman bought brand new. She lost oil pressure, the oil light wouldn't go out. I screwed a test gauge in place of the oil pressure switch and sure enough, it had ''some'' pressure cold but as soon as it warmed up a bit it was dead on zero. So I pulled the timing cover ( the oil pump gears are built in the cover and crankshaft runs through the center of the gear ). What I found was GOBS of shavings and glitter that had ran through the gears and chewed the gears up. But it was clear where they came from as when I pulled the two piece oil pan off ( timing cover on these cannot be removed with pan in place ) I found both the cam chain tensioner arm and guide both ground up in the oil pan in pieces. 77,000 miles, and we are talking about an engine that was always serviced and never had the gas pedal mashed to the floor in it's life. Anew timing set, and oil pump/timing cover assembly & good cleaning out and she ran with perfect oil pressure.

With that said, I see some of about all makes and models with 200k or more still running great with no major repairs and some have even been badly dogged. I see much more good luck than I do bad when under the hoods. I just sent a Ford F150 out of here the other day that had 256k and the 4.6 ran super.. used for pulling a horse trailer, hauling hay, travel to work, etc and isn't but a half ton. Only reason it was here was fix the number 1 and 2 missfires ( which they were told was a blown head gasket being he was having to add coolent every few days and nobody else wanted to tackle pulling a head or heads off it ). Upon my inspection the missfires were simply from a coolent leak which I found to be the plastic intake had cracked behind the right front corner and the coolent ran down in the plug holes shorting out #1&2 coil packs. He was quoted over 2k to repair it and I fixed him up for under 500. The new Dorman intake was 168.00 and a complete set of 8 new coil packs were 49.00... and a set of plugs which wasn't much. The new intake is re-designed and has O-ring seals that came with it. Took hardly any time to fix that one, it was gravy. Dealers will break it off in ya.. gotta watch'em boys. They just assumed the thing had a blown head gasket without honestly making sure it didn't, and in this case the guy was darn glad a friend sent him to me. I don't ask for anything that comes here, once a mechanic.. it follows you even when your getting old and don't really want to fool with the stuff anymore. Hard to say no if you know someone is fixing to get the shaft though. I really don't ask a penny from some, I just do it for them if I think they are in a pinch. I've my hardships and haven't forgot the folks who were there for me and I pay it fwd the only way I know how.
Yeah, I do all my own maintenance on the truck. Oil change every 3,000 miles, etc., etc....... So far the most major work I've done is the heater core and the timing chain. A friend of mine who owns a repair garage wanted $800 to do the heater core. Did it myself for.........$40. Sometimes it's awesome, being a wrench monkey aint it, Dave?

It also recently had misfire issues on #2 and #5. Luckily all it turned out to be was a loose rotor cap. Total bill for that; $0.

She looks kind of rough, rust on the roof, a few dents and scratches, headliner drooping...........But she runs strong as a team of Clydesdales.

But, it does go through ball joints. I think I've done the whole set three times. I've gotten good at it, it only takes me about 15 minutes per.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 03-31-2015 at 12:32 AM.

Tags
no union brotherhood